Quantcast

2007 Arctic cat 700 efi atv smoke

I just bought my first arctic cat. I changed the oil and filter. Now my atv smokes only when u rev the engine. Smoke looks white grey.. slight light blue tint.. when it. Idles it doesn't smoke.. Any body have a clue what is going on. The dealer said it's not the rings.. it has the 700cc suzuki engine..

when ones burning oil it will smoke when you get on it, or smoke worse then, its usually the rings or valve seals. it could be a bad gasket, clogged crankcase vent, but its usually rings or valve seals or both, I just sold a arctic cat with a 650 kaw v twin with just over a thousand miles that did the same thing, I sold it cheap as is because the last one I had that did that, a Suzuki quadmaster 500 with 1700 miles, cost me so much to fix,

Thanks Bayou Bill.. what's really wierd is that it started after I changed the oil. Th eoil was black. I just bought it. It. Didn't smoke prior to oil change. It only smokes while I rev the throttle a couple of times. If I just rev it steady from low to high it doesn't smoke.. weird. . U would think the rings would smoke all the time... the smoke isn't all that blue. It's more of a grey color. Like seafoam look when u add it...

I buy quads and fix them for resell in my spare time, I have bought several that had clogged carbs, valves out of adjustment, etc, that would idle all day without smoking, but when I clean the carbs, or whatever and get them to really run, smoke when you get on them, some a little, some bad, the quadmaster 500 would idle fine with no smoke but when I got it running right it smoked like a tar kettle, only on acceleration though. I had to replace the rings, piston, cylinder, they were all wore out, I put new valve seals in it too and lapped the valves, but the problem was the rings and cylinder, the nickel plating was worn through in one spot and the rings had around half thickness from new. in general in a car the rings will smoke when cold and get better when hot, and vice versa for the valve seals but ive found quads don't always work that way. anymore if I get a smoker after I get it running I sell it cheap even if I lose money on it. of course if I had a quad I wanted to keep and wasn't worried about profit I would fix it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By Its-always-something
      Have a 1998 AC 300 2x4, Just installed a new carburetor. Engine starts easy but the choke RPMs are very hi and take along time (5-10 mins when cold out). After engine has warmed up choke releases and it idles and runs fine., It does no have an electric choke. The choke lever is never used and it seems like an auto choke? Long story short, how can I lower the choke rpm levels?

Also, carb came with a spare145 jet, not 100% sure what is installed. Could this impact choke RPMs?

Any help and information greatly appreciated.
    • By Tuzz
      Bucking started about a month ago and works ok after 1/2 hour warmup.  Today while working on it i discovered that if i put the ignition switch in LIGHT position it runs fine right from the start.
      I'm stumped!  Any idea why this could be?