Quantcast

2003 manual shift 250 smoking issues

I am about at my wits end. Took the 250 back to the dealer repair shop AGAIN. Had it in there two months ago for a bad smoking issue. I thought it was to much fuel and washing the oil off the cylinder and burning it. They said it was the head. So I purchased new valves, valve guides, oil seals and had the head professionally done. So $225 later I had a great looking head. Well while I had the ATV apart this far I also got new rings for the piston. Mic'd everything out and everything was in spec. Put it back together and seemed like it smoked a little at the house (5000 feet above sea level). Took it to the mountains (9000 feet above seal level) for Sept. bear hunting and couldn't use it. Smoked worse than before and couldn't run it past half throttle or it would flood itself out. So brought it back home and it is back at the shop again. I say it is something in the carb that isn't set right or wrong jet????????? Anyone have any other ideas that it could be?

is the smoke black or blue? black is gas and blue is oil, is it gas flooding or oil on the plug? was the cylinder in specs, even below the ring ridge line? did you hone it if it wasn't nickeled? is the crankcase vent line clear? just a few ideas

Smoke is blue, gas flooding is the symptom. Cylinder specd out great all the way. Cylinder walls were as smooth as can be and ran the hone down it one time. Never checked the crankcase vent line. Will do that. Found out that the jets are not correct. Dealer mechanic didn't think to check that until I said something. So we are going for correct jets and see what that does. I'll ask them to check the crankcase vent also. Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
You don't think the flooding of the carb could be washing the oil off the cylinder and burning it?????????////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ok, got the right jets for the carb and adjusted the valves. Smoke is gone and running great. Final test will be taking it to the mountains this weekend and see how it runs up there.:biggrin:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off! 

• By Mhatayas
      My uncle bought a Baja 250, 2006. Knew there was no spark since the get go. He don't know anything about quads so is getting me to help him try to get it running...

battery is bad so I connected battery charger to it to crank it over , cranks over well , but no spark .... 
      Lights and everything work fine , but with each crank over using the e start switch , the display reads 999 888 777 666 ... Right down to 000 and repeats itself . 

He managed to get a parts bike , I changed over the CDI and the coil and the stator from the parts bike and there was another black box by the voltage regulator I changed over ... I used my multimeter to confirm as much as I could works , it's hard without knowing which wires are which , and I cannot find any diagrams online for this bike ? 

Do you think it could be the Killswitch? There's so many wires coming from there I don't know where to start . Also I should mention it appears the fan on the front of the bike has been taken off (the wires have been cut too ) 

If this bike sparked it would run . The previous owner said he parked it one day and it just wouldn't start after.
    • By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!