Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2001 big bear 400 timing chain guides

switch

I have a really dumb question. My big bear came half apart and I am not sure how the timing chain guide is supposed to sit in there. I have the entire top end cleaned, bored, new piston, gaskets, etc. I do not see anywhere in any manual or thread where it shows how the chain guide is installed or held on place????? Also should it be the same height as the other side???

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I looked at another bike. Took timing chain cover off and the tip of the chain guide is in a slot on the side of the head. the bottom is in a pocket that holds it in place. It fits pretty securely when the head is bolted down. If you are not careful this guide will fit between the chain and the pocket it goes into and the guide will slide down where it does not belong. I found out. No damage done as it didn't look right so I didn't leave it there and found out the right placement. Seems idiot proof after I figured it out but it wasn't me proof the first time I set the head down. Honda all my life learning the Yamaha differences as I go. Bike runs good, so far has good pull. Used it to check and fix fence all day and it just runs better every hour.