Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

1999 Suzuki King Quad lt-F300F Hard to start

Hello

Just signed up, as I've had a recurring problem, and need some help.

To start the bike I have to put the choke on all the way and 4 squeezes on the gas, Then as I push the start, I slow squeeze the throttle about half way for it to catch....If I miss it, then it will take 5 mins of slowly finding the sweetspot on the choke in unison with some throttle squeezes.

Then I have to to hold the throttle to keep the bike going, using the choke will stall it out. after about 3 mins of holding the throttle, I then can let it go, and it idles fine, and runs fine. If it sits for a few hours it's only slightly hard to start, but a few days of sitting, and it's a lot more work.

Had the bike serviced they couldn't figure it out. They swapped peticock, plug, new gas, all new lines, new throttle, and cable. Said the carb was fine, and clean. New air filter, said fuel pump was fine, no leaks around carb boots, new battery, new rectifier.

Ran some sea foam through it....Runs Great.....Just such a pain to start...

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Did a lot of reading on this site, and have had some good luck. I shortened up the vacume line from the petcock to the carb, and discovered a small leak in the crankcase where it comes together. The gasket must be gone if it has one there.

Used some chemical resistant cement to seal all along the seam, and snugged all the crankcase bolts. The leak was a drop every 2 days or so. And now it starts up everytime, but I have to keep giving it throttle for about 3 minutes, then it will idle on it's own. When I try to give it a little bit of choke to keep it idling, it just floods it, and it will quit.

So now the bike starts fine, but I have to nurse the throttle for 3minutes to get it to idle on it's own, while applying the choke will kill it.....

Any thoughts...?

Thanks

I ended up replacing the vacuum petcock with a manual and replacing the fuel pump on mine with a cheap honda one. I dont trust vacuum petcocks, they are always a source of mystery running problems on older bikes.

maybe your floats need adjusted? bad float needle or seat? I know the shop said they were ok but it obviously isnt running right.

Edited by Krudiak

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...