Quantcast

Bayou won't stay running without starter button held

Atv crazy

I have a 1996 Kawasaki bayou 300 2x4 it starts right up Everytime but dies as soon as you let off the starter button if you hold the button it will stay running but don't want to burn starter up please help.. i have put a new battery in, new coil, new plug, replaced cdi, ignition switch, check and cleaned all connections and grounds..

I  found the wiring diagram  for your   Kawasaki  online .  The  ignition switch works through the   starter relay, so  as  quadmaniac  says,  it  is most likely  a faulty starter relay..   As long  as you  hold the starter button  you  are  getting  ignition  power as well  as  starter run  but releasing the button  does not  allow  power to  continue  going to the  ignition circuit.

Kawasaki  Bayou wiring diagram.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Check the  engine stop switch to  see if it   is  stuck  on, and also  trace the  wires.  We  may  have misled you  on the relay..  There  are  two  of them.  One  is the  starter circuit relay  and the  other  is the  starter  relay  itself.. If  it  is the relay , it will  be the  starter circuit relay.  If that is the one you replaced,  check the  engine stop switch.  According to the schematic  it   should be  open  when the  engine is  running. Closing it  opens the ignition circuit and kills the engine.  Holding  in the start  button  feeds power to  the  ignition circuit until  you  release    the  button.

Edited by davefrombc
  • Like 1

After installing the new relay i thought maybe the switch so i bypassed the engin kill switch and starter button with jumper wires and a push button at the main harness plug where the kill/starter switch plugs into the main harness and it still does the same thing guess i will order the other relay and try that..

If i disconnect eather wire on the kill switch it wont even crank over i took the harness completely loose from everything and checked each wire all the wires are good all grounds are good but still same thing it starts great and runs till you let off starter button im at a loss any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

My only remaining guess is the  starter circuit relay. If that  isn't it, I'm  beat. After  you  mentioned that  disconnecting the  kill switch  nothing worked, I went  back to the   wiring  diagram  again.  It doesn't  show  the configuration  in  the  run state, so  I  can't  guess what  is open  and closed. Obviously  from  what  you said , the  kill switch  must be  closed rather than  open  as I  thought.  I  see the starter switch  also   connects to the  igniter ( CDI  box). If the starter circuit  relay  isn't  the culprit, that would  only  leave  the  CDI  box , and that  is an expensive  box to  replace. It looks like it  may be time to  bite the  bullet  and see a  Kawasaki  mechanic . I've exhausted  my  guesses and  without  being able to  physically  get to  it with  a  meter  and service  manual , I'm  beat.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2017 at 9:53 PM, Atv crazy said:

So i got the starter relay today i put it on and still when you let off the starter button its like your hitting a kill switch..

If your start button wiring is shorted you are hitting a kill button.  Disconnect the starter button from the harness and jump across the solenoid with a screwdriver and if the bike starts and then dies after removing the screwdriver then it's not the starter button, but i'm betting it is.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By Louznmemind
      Howdy y'all, I'm trying to fix a neighbors 2015 Brute Force 300. Came in with hard to start and won't idle except on choke issue. I pulled the carb and found the pilot jet as well as the emulsion tube partially clogged. Cleaned up everything, put it back together, still having issues...  It will start right up on choke and will also start off choke if you give it just a touch of throttle but it absolutely will not idle unless it's choked just a touch. Also, excuse my ignorance but I'm assuming the "dial" thingy attached to the carb that turns in and out is for setting idle?? 
    • By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!