Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

...got info Bot!

Just another bit of advice....before riding, always test the chain to make sure it's not too tight/too loose...our friend just bought a '08 YFZ450, and didn't check the quad over before he took it to a race....the chain was too loose, popped off the sprocket, broke his case, shifting shaft, and it took gears out of the motor...so, after paying for a brand new quad, he had to turn around and pay $600 in labor to get it fixed (warranty only covered parts).

I always keep about one inch of play in mine, with my weight on it, so what stoopidbot says is right, cause it cinches up a bit with weight. and the same thing happend to my buddy's KFX, the chain came off and slapped his shift sensor, so his neutral?reverse light quit working, he's lucky he had a warranty, or the chain didn't bust the case. But his is brand new and they are putting a new block on his because it was going to have to be welded. He lucked out major.

• 1 month later...

make a habit of checkin it after you wash it or while it's warming up. It needs to be in neutral and rolling back and forth. DRY will actually make them shorter or tighter! I have seen some SO tight it took 2 ppl to push it, and of course, he wanted it serviced under warranty! Well, welcome to the world of Honda heh heh. Need I say he was disappointed? LOL Keep it lubed and keep it tensioned right and you'll be OK. Just don't forget it cuz it will come back to bite you and it can get spendy when it snaps a case! OUCH!

SBot, you are absolutely right and here's proof:

my raptor is a 2001, has many miles but gets cleaned and checked after:aargh: every time. it's been seven years, my chain and sprockets look like brand NEW. My kid does not have my maintenance habits and is ready to buy a thirdset of sprockets and chain. smart guy. Hey it only takes a minute, and if you ever have to walk because of a failed chain you will know LOL.

I Check all my Stuff Before, During, and after......I have never had a Chain Fail.....But like my Smoke Detectors and my AC/Heater Filters....It just makes me Feel Good to replace chain and Sprockets once a yr....LOL!!! But......I buy Chain by the roll.....and when I order Sprockets I get 2 sets.....So, I doesnt Really Feel like an Expense when I do it....Oh yeah,,,,,doesnt hurt to check Carrier Bearings and Pivot Bearings and Lube chit while your there either:laugh:

• 1 year later...

Curious, when measuring the chain where should you measure from?

Bottom 1/2 of the chain to the top 1/2 or measure from the chain guard to either the top or bottom half of the chain.

I was checking my chains slack tonight and I tried measuring by taking a ruler and sitting it on the lower part of the chain and pushed and pulled the top, then I tried setting the ruler on the chain guard and measuring the top of the chain. the results were not that dramatically different 1/8" or so.

I was thinking, what if you measured from the chain guard and the chain guard got bent by a rock or something; that wouldn't be very accurate.

Thanks