Stoopidbot1

Alignment

14 posts in this topic

OK, so brilliant me bent the piss out of one of my tie rods. I'm gonna buy some Lonestar rods. I don't see them being difficult to replace but how hard is it to align the tires? How do you make sure they are both straight?

Make sure the handle bars a straight. Measure between the rear sidewall on the left front and right front tires. You want that measurement to be just a hair smaller than the very front measurement.

Is it that easy or should I spend $60 and have it done?
That's a tough call. A honda mechanic tought me how to do it about five years ago. But $60 is pretty cheap if its done right.

There's an online copy of a service manual for a Z400 in the other atv forum I post on.I know you have a Honda but the measurements are the same;with different settings/specs.Here's a link ATV Forum Website. ATV. ATV News ATV Reviews Kids ATV ATV Parts ATV Forums The correct settings/specs should be in your owners manual.You can check to make sure both sides are straight by using a tape measure.Measure from the inside of each steer tire to the frame.Hope this helps

My only worry is that my tape measure only reads in sixteenth of an inch, the tool that Honda uses goes down to a thousandth of an inch.

My only worry is that my tape measure only reads in sixteenth of an inch, the tool that Honda uses goes down to a thousandth of an inch.
Measurement isn't everything. Sometimes test and play works better. Did that with my Ozark.

The thing is I rode for the whole day and thought the dirt was real loose. Got back and realized that my right tire was pointing outward. So I don't really notice that stuff, probably should but I don't. I'm getting new tires soon and I don't want them to wear funny. I think I will suck it up and drop the bucks.

The thing is I rode for the whole day and thought the dirt was real loose. Got back and realized that my right tire was pointing outward. So I don't really notice that stuff, probably should but I don't. I'm getting new tires soon and I don't want them to wear funny. I think I will suck it up and drop the bucks.
Factorary specs have a slite toe out. Just telling you this so it does not scare you.

It is that easy. But start by making sure your handlebars are stright ahead then sight down the right and left and make sure they look like they are pointing straight ahead. Adjust if nesseccary. Then take the measurments. You want around 1/4" toe in.