Quantcast

400ex mod piece by piece

well, i decided to make a thread for my quad.

first off i'd like to say im 15, and not made of money.

im buyin for all the mods. no help from mom and dad. so this will take a while :laugh:

the bike is 2007 400ex. ive had it for 3 months now and here is when we first bought her

l_fa5efe2de80ae97573b4be9ec289c677.jpg

and how she sits at the moment

400expics6-24-08002.jpg

400expics6-24-08003.jpg

400expics6-24-08010.jpg

400expics6-24-08009.jpg

400expics6-24-08007.jpg

400expics6-24-08005.jpg

she has

-moose skids all around

-moose nerfs with pegs

-moose bumper

-powermadds(hence my screen name:yes:)

- and a billet exhaust tip jus for a throaty sound till i get an exhaust

and heres wat i plan on gettin in the future

-ironman exhaust

-suspension(idk what kind, jus watever i get a good deal on) i do like the fox floats tho

-A arms +1's or +2's(idk wat kind, jus a good deal)

- maxxis razr mx tires

-LSR adustable axle

-omf airscoops and a fan(this is an aircooled engine and does overheat quite a bit)

-handlebars(fasst if i get a good deal)

-white maier of fullbore plastics

-hiper beadlocks

-roll +1 steering stem

-possibly a sparks timing key after warranty is gone.

i gotta make this quad a mx machine.

i figure the next thing ill buy is either suspension or exhaust. im not gunna screw around with internal engine work till LATER.

i do all my own maintenaince (my father does supervise[sp]) and we are scared of messin with the internal stuff

i will probbly be added mods to this list quite a bit

tell meh wat u think guys! open to any suggestions

the big choice is the exhaust.

i got the exhaust picked out, the hmf ironman. is tuned to suit the needs of mx

the biggy (for me) is the suspension. everyone on exriders is sayin get 450r rebuilds. im not a fan of them because u have to scrape away at the shocks to get it to mount. im talkin to a guy that has some fox floats for sale so we'll see how that goes.

elkas are to damn expensive to buy, peps are nice but not alot of used ones out there. from wat i heard works shocks sucks. axis's are awesome but even more than elkas. fox are pretty cheap used, but not a whole bunch of them either. im sorta in bewteen a rock and a hard place here.

ok...i've got my 400ex I used to do mx with now I do harescrambles.

I have a DRD (Dubach Racing Development) exhaust on there and LOVEEEE the power it gives me. I also have a little bit experience with the shocks.....

I had the stock 400ex ones on there until my husband bought his 08 450 shocks...then I swapped them out and put them on my quad cause he got Elka's for his. About a month ago I sent the stock 450r shocks to Hygear Suspension, which is a local shop that rebuilds stock OEM shocks and I LOVE THEMMMMMMMMMMMM. My husband said he wishes he never bought the Elkas, he wishes he got them rebuilt by Hygear instead. Plus, it would have saved us some money!!! I believe he spent almost 1300 on the two front Elkas, and I spent 588.00 getting the stock ones rebuilt. So, even if you have to purchase stock ones, which are on ebay listed all the time, and you spend 200 bucks on them and then get them rebuilt/revalved, you're still saving about 500 bucks by not getting brand new shocks and everythign from a company like Elka.

Just a suggestion....do what you want with it :)

and...HYGEAR SUSPENSION is where you can get some sick rebuilds on stock shocks!

• 1 month later...
I knew Elka's are very expensive but I didn't realize that rebuilding shocks cost that much. I was wondering if mine need rebuilding and was going to look into it.

some of the shocks like the YFZ shocks, the TRX shocks, and the DS 450 shocks are very good shocks and just as good as any aftermarket shock when rebuilt. I don't know that I can say that about the stock 400EX shocks though.

How about some WORKS shocks? They are a decent shock that is less expensive than the Elka but alot better than your stockers.

some of the shocks like the YFZ shocks, the TRX shocks, and the DS 450 shocks are very good shocks and just as good as any aftermarket shock when rebuilt. I don't know that I can say that about the stock 400EX shocks though.

How about some WORKS shocks? They are a decent shock that is less expensive than the Elka but alot better than your stockers.

wow elkas are really expensive:huh:

• 4 weeks later...
well good news

i got maxxis razr rear tires on the way

and..........ELKAS!! i finally got some elkas remote rezzies. they was jus rebuilt with 0 ride time since the rebuild.

im jus happy i got the most expensive thing outta the way :yes::laugh:

sweet whered u get em and how much im lookin for some after(if) i get my 466 stroker kit. im still debating if i should do this itl cost at least $800 for the kit and then need my cases bored.:skeptic:

get an hfm ironman pipe, that would look disgusting on your bike

you read my mind bruh :wink:

Will your Elkas work with extended a-arms?

of course. as long as they are standard travel since my new elkas are standard travel.

for instance. your stock shocks on your 450r will fit any a arm. from +0 to +3. as long as they are standard travel.

long travel a arms require longer shocks that are 20 inches or so long.

if i race light mx will i need new shocks?

well lemme put it this way. my belly pan skid is bent from me bottoming out on stock shocks.

if you jump anything larger than 15-20ft, than i would reccomend some aftermarket shocks of some sort.

search ebay, classifieds on other atv sites(exriders has a great classifieds section) and etc. but remeber YOUR BLASTER HAS TO HAVE 14 INCH SHOCKS. make sure they are valved for your weight to! if you weigh...lets say 120, then you shouldnt buy shocks valved for a 180-200 rider.

good luck

yet another pricey add on, u gunna go w/ houser a-arms?

pshh i wish! there is an ebay store that sells a company called "fullflight". they look VERY similar to houser a arms for half the price. they cost about 330 or so and includes everything but brakelines. and they even clain my stock brakelines will have enuf length.

heres one of the auctions, they make them for jus about every quad

eBay Motors: 400EX,TRX400EX +2+1 A-ARMS 4-COLORS(SEPTEMBER SALE)FFR (item 370083288816 end time Sep-12-08 21:51:03 PDT)