Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

450 motors

OK i have a 06 yfz450 motor that has a hole in the bottom end by the shifter shaft and i know 04-05 yfz has 11:9.1 comp and the 06-08 have 11:4.1 if i where to use a 04-05 bottom and and mate it with my 06 head and use my 06 piston would i get the 11:9.1 comp or would i have to use the 04-05 piston?

OK, im about to atempt my first rebuild i have a manual and everything i have to put a new hot rods crank in put all the new athena gaskets i bout a 05 yfz bottom end b/c my 06 is cracked puttin my 06 head on the 05 bottom end, how hard is this to do and when i split the case whats the best way to do so and will anything come flyin out at me?

OK, im about to atempt my first rebuild i have a manual and everything i have to put a new hot rods crank in put all the new athena gaskets i bout a 05 yfz bottom end b/c my 06 is cracked puttin my 06 head on the 05 bottom end, how hard is this to do and when i split the case whats the best way to do so and will anything come flyin out at me?

Nothing should coming flying out. Lay it on it's side. It may sound like a pain but get a digital camera and take pics step by step. If you get lost anywhere you can just refer back to the photos.

So i was taking the nut off the flywheel i had the motor on its side and all of a sudden i hear something it the ground i dont know if its a bearing out of the motor or what it about 1/4 inch round and i was thinking theres noy way a bearing just feel out of this motor nothing is lose yet all the gears are still together everywhere were theres a bearing everything is still tight i dont get it and if it is a bearing i would of known i would of been able to spin the crank or anything else you can spin to move the crank, its weird

So i found out what that ball was, i was looking in the manual for once finding out what it is and the bearing looking thing is on the inside of the clutch cover theres a pin that moves on a bearing and the metal ball rest on the end of that pin

wait until it come times for the shifting mechanism, drum and shift forks...:aargh: good luck.. are you uing your 06 crank, cylinder and piston??

I got the whole engine apart,really easy if you have the smarts it isnt that hard. Ill post pics sometime soon of the engine apart and ill post more as i put everything back together

I only ran into 1 problem the bearing on the balancer one of the bearings is missing and it got chewed up in the motor i found all peices and blew them out and cleaned everything really good, im just wondering if i should get a new bearing because its only 1 small bearing that missing its like 1/4 inch long and 1/8 inch round

I got everything back together, i lined up the fly wheel and put the cams in time everyting is on all is left to do is put the clutches back in and put the clutch cover back on then bolt it back onto the bike.

I was wonder if you crank the motor using a socket and its not in time can you bend the valves if its not in time because i cranked the motor and it sounded smooth i could hear the compression.

I may have said it before but i have a 05 bottom end and a 06 hjug and head on my 06 yfz450 got everything back in and started it today it started right up but i heard a tapping noise i think its the valves they may need ajusted, the motor has a new hot rods heavey duty crank which is 1.4mm longer than the stock rod and its im time the bike rev no other.

also another problem i have now is the clutch has alot of free play when i sqeeze the clutch it goes back out some and i have push it out the rest of the way does anyone know if the clutch cable is shorter or longer on the 04-05 to the 06-08 yfz?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Werewolf
      My wheeler originally had a fuel leak.But on trying to start it no spark. Took front end off, when I try to start it I get one spark then nothing. Come back a while latter one spark,replaced coil and cdi box no help?
    • By brettautosworldwide
      Sportsman 450 H.O Whatsapp : +33758980374
      Starting at $3,999 US MSRP.
      Plus logistics surcharge of $250.
      Plus destination charge and set-up.
      Reliable Sportsman power, performance and comfort—all at a best-in-class value.
      Whatsapp : +33758980374
      For inquires : [email protected]
      Instant chat Skype id : live:.cid.481378ea1a91ce4b

• By rockfresh15
      Hey all, I'm a 2-stroke quad/dirt bike guy, new to utility atvs. Just picked up a pretty clean looking 2005 Kodiak 450 4x4 with about 1,000 hours on it for my dad.

The first thing I noticed when we got home was oil leaking from a seal on the rear axle. Pictured below. I've been staring at this frigan Partzilla diagram for days and can't figure out what part this is. What is it and what likely needs replacing/fixing?

Also wouldn't mind any recommendations on the next things to check. The owner said nothing's been replaced on it but oil since it's been in service. Def needs new rear tires.

Thanks all!

• By alexwv1863
      Hey everyone, first I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas to all who celebrate. Now onto my new problem. My apologies now for a long post. I just want to go thru everything I've done to help figure out what the issue is.
      Here goes: 
      I have an 04 Yamaha Kodiak 450. Last week I went to take it for a ride and it wouldn't start. The display would light up and the speedometer numbers would go around in a circle like it was loading (to give an idea of what it looks like). When I would try to start it, it wouldn't do anything and the display would go blank. I tried crossing over the solenoid and it still wouldn't do anything, nothing at all. 
      Today I was writing in it and hooked up a charger/jump box to see if that battery was dead. The charger read that it was completely charged. I tried cranking it and after a few tries and reconnecting the charger, I got the 4 wheeler to start. I unhooked the charger and a minute later the 4 wheeler just shut off like I turned the switch off. I, again, hooked up the charger, waited a couple minutes and the ATV started again. This time I left the charger hooked up several minutes while the ATV was running. When I unhooked the charger this time, it stayed running and I was actually able to ride it around the yard for several minutes without any issues.
      I parked it, shut it off with the kill switch like I always do, turned the key off. I thought I would see if it would start on it's own. I turned the switch on, kill switch off, and nothing. The display wouldn't light up nor turn over. When I would turn the kill switch on, the display would then light up, but once I turned the switch off, the display would go blank. 
      I took off the start button ignition assembly off the handlebar and all of the connections looked new, so it should be making a great connection to the handlebar. I originally had a new solenoid on, but I put the original back on, cleaned all of the terminals, tried crossing it over with nothing happening still. I put on a new starter a couple of weeks ago and there hadn't been any issues until a couple weeks ago when I tried taking it for a ride like originally stating. 
      Could the kill switch have gone bad and is causing this issue? Could it be some chance be the starter since it's not an OEM? Could it be the rectifier going bad? 
      Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated. I would love to get it fixed soon. I have some other maintenance I want to do on it and have it road ready in case I need it if weather were to get bad. Thanks in advance. I do appreciate all of y'all's help and advice.

• By prdicon
      Which wheel bearings brand is best?
      Also, I know 2 seals come with each bearings. But there is also a small seal, what is it for?
  • Similar Tagged Forum Content