Quantcast

...So, here we are again. A "new" quad for me, and another thread about making it better.

So to start, you may already know, but i traded the "Monster" Trailblazer for a 2002 400ex. the 400 needs a little work and doesn't look the best cosmetically but i know from one blast down the street that it is FAST.

To my knowledge, it has a couple mods. from what you can see, it has an FMF Megamax Muffler, K&N filter, no lid, i have to check if it has stage one hotcams, it has razrs all around, i believe it has douglas aluminum wheels, renthal bars, maier racecut plastics, and shockwares.

that is all for the mods, that i know of, SO!

Lets begin with my plans. this thread will be VERY long and get VERY old. i will go through stages. beginning with stage one, cosmetic work. i am staying with the silver and a little red color scheme, since the hubs are already red. stage two, mild performance and lastly [if i want to] stage three, more major mods.

so lets start with listing stage one, my plans

STAGE ONE

Tusk Competition Nerf Bars, Red w/ Black Nets

Red Grips

Red MSR Clutch & Brake Levers

Handlebar Mounted Lighting

Billit Red Gas Cap

Red & Black Seat Cover

Red Outerwears

I think that is good for the red, the rest is already silver and black, just going to get some black engine paint and paint some engine parts also. this project, like my last one will probabally involve some custom painting. i think i will take the slipon off and paint it black and replace the logo. i want to clean up the header really good too, i might buy a newer one later on but i cant afford it now, will high temp paint work on the header? maybe the a-arms.

that is all for stage one, stay tuned as i will update with progress as we go on, to your surprise, i have already ordered some of the things in stage one, i have the grips and nerfs on the way. i have also bought a new battery. and plan on replacing the plug soon.

STAY TUNED FOLKS! IM ALSO OPEN TO OPINIONS AND SUGGESTIONS!

i hope this one will be as fun as the last one.

:biggrin:

..i think this is my longest post ever.

yes sir, stage two might start earlier than expected, might go for a new CDI for a hotter spark.

but uuuummm...where should i mount the headlights? my dad said it wouldnt be that good of an idea to mount that on the bars, cause when u turn the lights turn.

ill post pics of these nerfs when they get here, and im going to paint the headers like a silver color and the muffler black and put fmf logos on it.

stay tuned, much to come.

too expensive for my budget, there are handlebar mount lights on ebay for 67. and there are lights i can bolt anywhere at walmart for like 15. i know they wont be the best quality but i wont use the lights much.

EDIT: but i did find lever covers in colors on that site! thats a save of about 22$.! if i just buy those instead of MSR levers, i can add color, and not buy the whole lever! thanks bot! im gonna surf that site a little more.

EDIT 2: i was looking at decals also, what do you think about these? http://westonsigns.com/product.php?productid=2167&cat=257&page=5 thats the same place i got the ones for the tb at. hey if i clear coats over just the decals will it stand out more than the other parts of the plastic?

Edited by trailblazer_02

great ideas TB :) I dig the decals....they'll add some nice flair to it. If you don't use the headlights much, are you going to keep them on all the time? we have my headlights, but cause of racing and stuff they're sittin in the parts box...wehn i wanna night right or something we hook em up and zip tie them under the front of my plastic to the frame and bumper and whatever else just for the night...just a thought, might save ya some money too...

ebay really is goin to be a great tool for you to save some money...be sure to type in trx400ex along with 400ex....sometimes you can find some extra awesome deals by including the trx as one word....

well the ones on ebay are like 67 with shipping, and the ones at walmart are like 15, but they arent ment to mount to the handlebars, i would have to make them work somewhere...idk me and my dad will go over the ex tommorow and look for places to mount, and go to our local dealer and buy some spark plugs. hopefully i can get this thing to fire up again.

are you taking the quad there? or are you looking at buying one? if you can haul it there, they might take it out for you, or let you borrow it there while you're in the parking lot....idk if they'd have one for sale....

buying one. im sure they will. its a full powersports place, and if they dont, we have plenty of places we can, plus i wanna look around there for other parts.

but uuuummm...where should i mount the headlights? my dad said it wouldnt be that good of an idea to mount that on the bars, cause when u turn the lights turn.

Personally I think handle bar lights are nice, Depending how high they are mounted a roll over can really tear them up.You might be able to mount a 300ex light on it or a cheap pair of driving lights on it.

300ex.jpg

Trail_Lights_1.jpg

The lights above are off the warn website. The way most driving lights are made are able to be quick disconnect. Also Autozone and Wal-mat sale universal mounts to. Just a couple of ideas.

Personally I think handle bar lights are nice, Depending how high they are mounted a roll over can really tear them up.You might be able to mount a 300ex light on it or a cheap pair of driving lights on it.

300ex.jpg

Trail_Lights_1.jpg

The lights above are off the warn website. The way most driving lights are made are able to be quick disconnect. Also Autozone and Wal-mat sale universal mounts to. Just a couple of ideas.

yeah i was looking at the universal one from walmart..how could i mount those..buying those would also save A LOT of money. they are 15$ compared to the cheapest bar mount is 70$.

edit: here are the bar mounts : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Light-kit-Honda-250r-300ex-400ex-headlight-lights-trx_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ43980QQihZ004QQitemZ140249931174

Edited by trailblazer_02

yeah, my dad knows people that do anything, i swear, and he is REALLY handy at making stuff from scrap. i mean he knows machine shops and stuff that will shave the head on my atv for free and everything. + he has been riding since the 80s so. he is good at custom fab work. we have a torch and a drill and everything out in the garage. ill have to look at the mounts and stuff. what do you think of the new project buckbilly? all sound good to you?

yeah, my dad knows people that do anything, i swear, and he is REALLY handy at making stuff from scrap. i mean he knows machine shops and stuff that will shave the head on my atv for free and everything. + he has been riding since the 80s so. he is good at custom fab work. we have a torch and a drill and everything out in the garage. ill have to look at the mounts and stuff. what do you think of the new project buckbilly? all sound good to you?
I think any project is good. I'm just glad you got the bigger quad you wanted. Of course it sounds good to me. I wish you the best of luck. I have built a snow plow and a yard trailer out of scap steel from work. Makes me pretty happy to see a teenager so eager to do something.

I think any project is good. I'm just glad you got the bigger quad you wanted. Of course it sounds good to me. I wish you the best of luck. I have built a snow plow and a yard trailer out of scap steel from work. Makes me pretty happy to see a teenager so eager to do something.

yeah i really love tweaking and testing stuff on em and tearing em down and building them back up, i think i will go to college and be a tech for atvs or something..

yeah i could make the trailblazer run with that 400ex but i had to face the facts, with the money i have i couldnt do it, i talked to my dad about it, and he said well, it is your atv, and your sister doesnt ride it much anyway [thats the main reason we got auto, she cant drive clutch] so he gave me the ok, put it up on craigslist, couple weeks later she was gone,

hey jump into chat.