jaykimbo

2005 Honda TRX400FA Rancher Transmission Slipping

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am new and not sure if I am posting in the correct area.

It seems like my ATV's trans is slipping. I only use it to mow with a tow behind.

When I turn sometimes there is a high pitched noise and ATV doesn't move.

Does the clutch need to be replaced or are there any adjustments I can do?

This does not happen when cruising.

Thanks in advace.

Hello,

I am new and not sure if I am posting in the correct area.

It seems like my ATV's trans is slipping. I only use it to mow with a tow behind.

When I turn sometimes there is a high pitched noise and ATV doesn't move.

Does the clutch need to be replaced or are there any adjustments I can do?

This does not happen when cruising.

Thanks in advace.

I'm assuming its the automatic tranny Rancher. If it is , try it in manual shift mode. Not in auto mode. Those models have been known to have problem when worked in auto mode. How often do you change the oil?

It is a little better in manual mode than auto. I am overdue for an oil change. Could that be the problem?

It is a little better in manual mode than auto. I am overdue for an oil change. Could that be the problem?

Yes it could be a reason if your oil has broken down.

Clutch operation could fail if your engine oil is deteriorated, viscosity too high, or your oil level too high. Not sure on that atv, but make sure you use the recommended oil with additives and the correct weight.

It is a possibility. Welcome to QUADCRAZY!

* Renamed thread title for better searching

I'd say DEFINITELY change the oil...that's a MAJOR part in how the quad functions...if it still acts funky and you've got the skills, pull the clutch apart to see if there's notching or anything like that. My quad was acting funny a while ago and when we pulled it apart I had a clutch plate blow up in there. Also found some notching in my basket....

just a thought...

Hondas are not what they use to be I hope you can get it fixed I have a Polaris and I have never had a problem