ethan3k

2004 LTZ 400 starting problems

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone new to the site, but like it alot. I got a problem starting my quad, Ive got good spark, full battery, and fresh gas but it wont start. The starter is working properly, and I can pull/roll start it fine. The thing runs perfect once started no idling problems, but even after its warmed up if I shut it off it still wont start without pulling it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Try to put a battery booster on it. There are times when the battery seems fine, all lights work and the starter turns the motor, but there isn't enough juice to turn it hard enough...those batteries can be sneaky.

if you can jump start it fine i will guarente that it is your valves.. the z's valves need to be checked and reshimmed often. what happens it they will cup and get worn and will decresse in clearence.. get the feeler gauge out and check your clearances. im beting they will be zero.

If the valves were that far out of whack it would not idle fine or run fine. But it is still worth checking.

Sometimes the battery just doesn not have enough juice to cank the motor fast enough, but appears good...like Bot said. Try the jumper back.

Are you getting fuel and spark when you hit the starter button?

Ethan welcome to QuadCrazy. I concur with the battery issue that Bot and Ajmboy are talking about plus if you battery is weak it really taxes your starter. Let us know what happens.

If the valves were that far out of whack it would not idle fine or run fine. But it is still worth checking.

alrighty then.. i have seen it happen more than once.... z's are notorious for this issue..

I never said it couldn't be, in fact I even said it was worth checking. But this situation sounds like a weak battery.

Thanks for the input everyone, I checked the valves and there right on, however when I pulled the spark plug to check them I found water, so Im waiting for a new head gasket right now. Should be here in a couple of days, ive got the battery charging till then, So Ill let you know.