josephnbl91

2007 king quad 700 not up to speed?

11 posts in this topic

I just recently bought a kq 700 it is fully snorkeled and has 27 inch itp 589's. I have been reading up on the king quad for the for the past month and i noticed that almost everyone says their top speed on a stock kq is around 70 my kq only makes it to 50-55 tops and doesnt seem very responsive. i just checked the belt and it seems fine too. what could be wrong with it? thank you.

air filter is clean the gas is fresh 93 octane. and the butterfly on the throttle body opens all the way so it cant be any of those thats what confuses me too. thanks for the reply though.

does anyone else have anything they think could be the reason? i really need help with this i have no idea what it could be. i know the tires make the speedometer a little inaccurate but by 15 mph? i dont think 2 inches in tire size difference could do that much.

I think your tires and snorkel have something to do with it. How is that snorkel designed? Is it restrictive? Is it one of those home kits? Is there a second air filter as part of teh snorkel kit? When you are topped out..is the engine whining? Like it's reached it's max rpm?

Have you rode side by side with anyone else to see how fast you are really going?

Larger tires will make the speedometer read lower than what it actually is but not 15 mph.

I would remove the snorkel to test responsiveness and speed. Remember, the faster you go, the higher rate of air flow is needed. those snorkel kits may be restrictive at high rpms.

im not able to check right now but as soon as i can im going to ride with the seat off and the air box open so it doesnt have to go through the snorkel and i will see what happens. i have brought my gps on the four wheeler before to see the speed but i didnt top it out at the time the only speed difference i could see between the speedometer on the fourwheeler and the gps was about 2mph. also one of my friends mentioned that the belt might be one of the problems. he has a grizzly 660 and its a hell of alot faster than my four wheeler is. my belt does not look bad though i took the cover off once before but who knows. i have not seen a brand new belt before. thanks for the reply very helpful ill check it out when i can and see if that works. i have another problem too when i go out riding in water(deep water) the belt keeps getting water in it i guess it has to be the seal of the belt or the snorkel leaking.

oh and by the way can anyone tell me what the top speed of the kq 700 is and is it very responsive?

Hello.

if your issue is the belt, it is a little bit more than just looking at it.

you can measure the width of the belt at the top (widest part of the belt) and tell us how wide it is.

then there is the rollers in the front pully.

In the pully there is about 8 rollers that are nylon covered steal rollers, they each sit in a grove and it is their job to change the bikes gearing go higher as you go faster!

You have to take off the front pully and make shore that the grove where the rollers "roll" from slow speed to high speed is clean and dirt free.

Also you will notice that the rolers are (used to be) white, and the outer edge will be dirty and brown/gray. this is impregnated dirt stuck on the rollers. give the rollers a good clean up with a kitchen scourour in the kitchen sink (note, do not let the wife see you do this!)

when the rollers get very dirty they get too grippy and have trouble moving in the pully against the retaining plate.

the symptons of this is a bike that will feel like it is "stuck in 3rd gear" when taking off (ie sluggish) and somtimes they can be stuck in "4th gear" when they should be in "6th"

if you know what I mean with the gearing, because the bike has a million gears being belt driven auto!

a normal LTA700 or 750 can take off and do a very nice wheel stand at every take off.

But as the rollers get dirty it can get to the point where a LTA700 just cant do a wheel stand any more!

if this happens not to be your problem, do for the snorkle restricting the air in to the airbox.

other wise, because the bike it a 700 and maybe has a few Miles on it by now, you could have a clogged fuel filter in your fuel pump.

I am not saying this because I sell them at my website! I am saying it because the LTA range of bikes have a good pump, and a good fuel filter, but it is a very small fuel filter and is very prone to clogging with what every people put in to the tanks!

Normaly people find that a bike with a clogged fuel filter is hard starting and a flat spot above idle, then some top end power loss.

maybe you should do a fuel pump flow measurment to see how much is flowing.

just ask if you need help to do that (or consault your workshop book)

if Aus. we use KM but the normal new LTA700 can do 114 to 116KM

(i know this because we have people complain when they have a 114km bike and their freinds have a 116km bike!!!!)

what a silly world we live in.

so u bought it used correct? do u know if the person before you put a clutch kit on? because a clutch kit takes away from ur top end speed..and gives u more low end torque so u can pull those 589s a lot better in the deep water, and mud