FIREMAN71

headlights

6 posts in this topic

Purchased a 1993 300 TRX (2 wheel drive) Problem i am having is the headlights "blink" somewhat at idle but get very "dim" when RPM is increased. Grounding issue possible or something wrong with volt regulator. Any help greatly appreciated!

I think you are on the right track, check your electrical connections, grounds, wires and connectors. If it were a rectifier/regulator, then you would probably have charging issues as well. Use a multimeter and check the voltage at the headlight plug. If it is ok, try replacing the bulb.

Sounds like a bad rectifier or ground as stated. Happened to one of my friends and he had both bad ground and bad rectifier but his bulbs would pop when at higher rpms.

I did the test on alternator (per Clymers manual) and it show up as OK. Simply no voltage is going to replentish battery it appers. No change in voltage at battery when engine is accelerated (plus headlights go dim) Thanks for the inpurt!

If your alternator is putting out power, and no charge is going to the battery, then it is most likely the rectifier/regulator that is bad. Or a bad ground somewhere.