MiBassman

Looking for winch advise

9 posts in this topic

I have a 2007 honda rancher es. I'm looking to put a winch on it and would like any recomendations or advise as to brand name, size, and where to buy it online. It will be used mostley in the woods when stuck or moving downed trees.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I have a 2007 honda foreman 500 and want to put a winch on it. The winch will be used to raise and lower a plow some, but mainly in the woods when I get stuck or pulling small trees. I'm looking for advise and suggestions as to the size,name brand, and places to buy on-line. Also looking for what to look for and what to look out for in a winch. I have heard that some switches burn out fast.

Thank you for all your help.

i would have to agree with swampcat. warn is a very popular brand winch i like it and i have not had problems with mine they are good, reliable i have them on all my atvs. The bad is that they are really expensive 439$ for a 3000xt winch bit high.

Now for Gorilla it is another good brand name and good atv winch for that matter. very reliable i have heard many of good things about their winches. and the prices are very reasonable. The same winch (3000lb) would cost you about half a warn and it comes with a lot of accessories.

Here is the gorilla atv website they sell both there winches and warn winches

ATV Winches & UTV Winches from 2000lbs to 4000lbs by PROMARK OFFROAD

my 2006 prairie 360 had a warn 2.5 on it when I bought it used about 6 months ago. a plastic seal was worn and the thing was actually busted open because the idiot who owned it let the cable pile up. I replaced the seal and the cable and that thing is a champ. never fails me. I greased it up good when it was apart and I take the line out and pressure wash it as good as possible after every ride. I hear people talk bad about warns all of the time, but like anything else, if you use it practically and maintain it, you probably won't have any problems.

my buddy bought a gorilla 4000lb for his foreman a few months ago and has had constant problems with it. first the terminals melted inside, they sent new terminals and then the motor housing was holding water (when it's supposed to be water proof,) so they replaced the whole thing for him,. then his new one was holding water too and draining the battery down after a few days. so he's got a third one on the way. the thing is strong as hell when it's working, but he has worked on the winch more than it has worked for him.

my buddy bought a gorilla 4000lb for his foreman a few months ago and has had constant problems with it. first the terminals melted inside, they sent new terminals and then the motor housing was holding water (when it's supposed to be water proof,) so they replaced the whole thing for him,. then his new one was holding water too and draining the battery down after a few days. so he's got a third one on the way. the thing is strong as hell when it's working, but he has worked on the winch more than it has worked for him.

No kidding...they are cheaper though...I guess you get what you pay for.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Racer944
      Hi Folks;
      Has anybody on here installed a winch on a 2003 Magnum 2x4? I am using a Cycle Country adapter plate (only one I could find), but am having a bit of trouble getting it all to fit properly, and am looking for someone that may have done this install and/or may have some pics of the installation.
      Thanks!
      Eric
    • By toonces
      My mother has just developed a fairly serious case of sciatica, which is a condition where you have some serious leg pain as the result of a pinched sciatic nerve. One of the exercises she does in physical therapy is simply the therapist holding onto her foot and pulling away from her hips as she lays on her back on a table. To replicate this exercise at home they have recommended an inversion table (where you turn upside down and hang from your feet), but since she's not too keen on this idea I'm trying to figure out how to replicate this exercise...which is where the idea of a remotely operated winch comes in.
      I don't really have a wide range of knowledge when it comes to what equipment is out there that can help me accomplish this goal, but I'm not too shabby at designing things and since I just installed a superwinch on my grizz this is the first idea I've come up with.
      Basically I'm imagining using some kind of winch whose rope would be worked through a pulley system that would end attached to a shoe which Mom would put on, lie down and use the remote switch to gently stretch the leg.
      - Winch (if an ATV winch) would be powered by a 12v car battery hooked up to a trickle charger
      - Safety mechanisms would include...
      - a light switch dimmer inline between the 12v battery and the winch so speed can be adjusted.
      - possibly using one of those stretchy rubber exercise resistance bands in the line segment to regulate and ease the pulling
      - a remote power cut off switch paired with the remote 'in/out' switch
      Honestly I could just go ahead and make this system myself, and I'm fairly sure it would work, but I thought I'd bounce this idea off a mechanically minded community to see if there are any ideas how I could improve on the design.
      Since I'm only familiar with ATV winches at this point that's what I've imagined using. But if anyone is aware of a 110v based winch that would be more appropriate, that would surely help in simplifying powering the system since it'll be located indoors. Only requirement for the winch would be that it would need both an in and out function operated by a remote switch. And since the winch would only need to pull between 10-20 lbs it wouldn't need to be nearly as beefy as the ATV type.
      Sorry for the long write up here but I'm certainly glad for your time and open to your opinions and suggestions.
    • By toonces
      Putting in a SW Terra 35 and I've decided the crimp I'm looking at here isn't something I can reproduce so I need to figure out who to take this wire to get the end put back on after I get it shortened to where I need it. Never having delt with wires this big I have no idea who I could go to just locally to get this done. What kind of (electrical?) business would deal with stuff like this?

• By toonces
      Just got my first ATV, a '11 700 Grizz and planning on doing some trail riding soon. First piece of equipment I'm adding is a winch and I'm needing some suggestions for something that would be good for my kind of riding but comes at a decent price. Usually I try to get quality stuff (Warn) but since I'm needing to conserve denero right now I figure this winch is something that (at least for me) doesn't have to be crazy great/expensive. Although I'd still like to get something that's decent quality and can pull well, in my middle age I hardly think I'll be voluntarily launching into any terrain that has the potential to get me too stuck...thus I doubt I'll be using the winch that often.
      Anybody have a suggestion for a model that's decent quality for around say $300 bucks? Doesn't have to be built to be used time after time but quality does still count.
      Thanks
    • By tofastfisher
      cant find one any wear you guys have any idea s ? only listing I can find goes too 2002