bigblue

1997 polaris Scrambler 400 will not go into forward gear!

8 posts in this topic

I have a scrambler 400 and it will not go forward. Reverse works fine but when i shift it into forward it just sits there, it just happened the other day, up until then it ran fine. Any ideas where to start trouble shooting or what is wrong?

Edited by bigblue

Can you hear it click into gear and are your shift lights working? I have the 98 xplorer 400L but i am assuming they are a lot alike. Mine was messing up and I had to adjust the shift rods from the gear shift to the transmission. Worked perfect after adjustment. I would check there first.

Is there any grinding when you try to shift into forward. I have that problem on my polaris and I had to fix the gears that had worn down. If there is no grinding and you are pushing into gear hard then something might be loose in the shifter.

check your shifting linkage...i have a similar problem with my 94 polaris... if you do hear a grinding when you go into reverse or any gear and you need to force it you need to lower you rpms...there is a screw on your carb that allows you to do that

I agree that you need to check your linkage, if you hear it going into gear with a "click" then it is deeper than linkage and you need to check your gears in your tranny. If you are not confident in your skills then I would recomend taking it to your local shop because the Polaris tranny can sometimes be diffucult if you are unsure what is wrong with it.

I have a scrambler 400 and it will not go forward. Reverse works fine but when i shift it into forward it just sits there, it just happened the other day, up until then it ran fine. Any ideas where to start trouble shooting or what is wrong?

The linkage might need readjusted. Check out mine at atvwheelin.com there are other tech tips there too.:wink:

Yeah,i'm takin mine apart today,Brother-in law had idle up about 1,000 R's too much. terrible forward engagment. hopefully just three parts $200 or less.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Its all a guess till you crack it open...Dog gear or silent chain would be my guess. if it grinds most likley the chain if your hear nothing broken dog gear..still just a guess.

Good luck PolarisATVrepair.com