Socalrunner

1986 honda 70 fourtrax carb tuning help

7 posts in this topic

I can only start the quad with starter fluid and it will not stay running. I just cleaned it out and i believe it is the tuning on it is off since i cleaned out the jets. Please help.

Sounds like you are not getting fuel if it will start with starting fluid but won't keep running. Have you checked the plug also?

Check fuel filter, petcock, gas vent tube. Have you checked all of the lines going from the tank to the carb? Is this fresh gas?

Welcome to the site.

Its fresh gas. The plug sparks so i should check all the fuel lines. How should the carb be tuned to?

If you have not done any engine mods or moved it to an area where elevation is drastically different, then the jetting should stay stock. I think Bot may be right, you are probably not getting fuel to the carb. Do what he said, also check the float, it could be stuck. Also, when you clean the carb, you need to clean EVERYTHING. Take EVERYTHING apart and clean it. Pay special attention to the idle circuit. Blow all passages that you cannot clean otherwise with compressed air.

CARBURETOR - 1986 Honda TRX70 FOURTRAX

#3 on the diagram is your float. It is a piece that sits inside the bowl. When the crab gets enough gas into the bowl, the float floats up and stops the flow of gas to the carb. If the float is stuck, gas will continue to pour out the carb.