97 recon valve adjustment

3 posts in this topic

Anyone know of a good thread about adjusting the valves. I noticed Saturday when I took my son riding that there was a noticeable loss of power in his recon. Ive replaced the plug and it was running fresh gas. Im going to adjust the clutch in the morning, but I am leaning more towards the valves since Ive had to adjust them on my suzuki and my daughters yamaha in the past, for the same reason. I have no experience with honda and I wanna make sure Its done right. Thanks in advance.

The valves on that machine are adjusted by loosening a nut and adjusting a screw that is located on the valve side of the rocker arm. After the adjustment is made with the screw, you will obviously want to tighten the nut back down. As far as torque specs and valve clearances, I would get a manual or call a dealer for that info.

as I recall it's .003 and .002 - it's better to let them 'tick' a little than to run them tight and burn them. The hardest part on the recon is taking all the plastic off to get to the engine. Oh, and don't lose any of those little black fasteners- they're spendy at the dealer! have fun! A book is always a good investment. :wink:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Kyboy
      Iam looking for help seperating the rear brake drum and the cover. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate
    • By toonces
      Doing this for the first time on the old 2011 Grizz 700 and have a few q's?
      I've found valve clearance specs as such...
      Intake 0.09–0.13 mm (0.0035–0.0051 in)
      Exhaust 0.16–0.20 mm (0.0063–0.0079 in)
      If anyone can confirm that'd be great. I've been told to adjust the valve clearances to the top of the range in anticipation that they will tighten over time. This sound about right?
      Are these the only two o-rings I'll need to replace? Both #18s in the schematic...
      And finally, which of those two valve covers are the intake and exhaust?
      Also, was wondering about replacing my two gear box oil drain plugs and engine oil plug with the magnetic Gold Plugs. But at a price of $60 I'm wondering if they're actually worth it. Do people regularly find metal bits attached to these plugs?
    • By kingjosk12
      A week ago I could not even get close to starting it. But now I adjusted the valves (exhaust valve was not closed). i got it running but would not run without choke. i adjusted the float because it was to low tried starting it up again and it would not even start. So i went back and looked at the valves and the valve was now open again so i adjusted it and it started right up and ran perfect without choke. So i put it all back together thinking it was ready to go. Started it up and let it run for a little bit. i turned it off and tried starting it again there was NOTHING. took it apart and there was 0 compression and the exhaust valve was open again. I am completely lost need help PLEASE!!!:aargh:
    • By gadawg31
      I have searched all over and can't find anything on how to adjust the valves on my sons 2007 Polaris sportsman 90. Has anyone done this? Anyone have a manual for the 90 showing how to do it? I need to get this done pretty quick, since he has a ride coming very soon. Thanks.