bizzbone

2001 Honda Foreman 400 smoking and oil coming out of exhaust

10 posts in this topic

It could be that there is too much oil in the motor, or you are leaking oil past the piston/rings or valve guides.

If there is that much coming out, it's like DD said..there is too much getting into the combustion chamber. Have you changed your air filter recently? Just curious...make sure it's not clogged.

What dd said.also check your dipstick for overfill. And check spark plug. If excessivly oily. Might be time for a valve and/or ring job. How many miles on your unit?

All factors

good luck and good riding

doonorth

sounds as if you have bad piston and rings need to check compression on cyl. also look at spark plug and see if it is black and oily hopes this helps

It could be that your mixture screw at the bottom of the carb is off a little

just took one apart doing same thing looks like it need piston rings and a valve job take off the head and look at the valves for soft oil carbon on intake valve and see how slopy the piston is in the cylinder

first thought,

1.check not over filled with oil.vacuum line could be sucking oil. if dirty drain and replace quick solution could go thicker eg 20w-50 bike oil

2. check filter

3. spark plug what color?

4. compression if on the low side ~120psi its rings or valve. if high could be sticky or broken oil ring( if they are sticky, try SEAFOAM, and or intake cleaner, warm upto temp and add little and rev a little and then add more until it stalls. let sit for 30min and run it until warm and exhaust should stop smoking.

5. take head off check valve guilds.

6. check rings and bore size and roundness

Dead thread alert. This was one of those one time posters, thread was started over a year ago, he did check in last April, but has not posted since he started this thread.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By crazynordlander
      Hi All,
      Has anyone found engine oil in their air filter box. The must be little or no baffle between crankcase ventilation and that hose that attaches to the air filter box.
      I went to pick up my ATV today 60 miles away that they could not fix the jerky low speeds on and before I loaded it decided to check on this. Sure enough there was a good coating of oil with some pooling in the bottom of the air filter box. The air filter has oil on it too but is it a dry element or oiled element type. My guess from the color of it dry.
      I heard on a comment on my YT videos that there is a kit for this issue? Is this a CFMOTO fix?
      Thanks
      Kevin
    • By bradleyheathhays
      I'm going into my '11 Grizz 700 to adjust valve clearance for the first time and when I button everything back up I'll be replacing all the gaskets / o-rings. The 5 I'll be replacing include (from the top down) both valve cover gaskets, cylinder head cover gasket, and the 2 gaskets in the crankcase cover.
      Do I need to coat these gaskets with motor oil before putting them on like when replacing your oil filter?
    • By sloundez
      Does anyone out there know where I can get a functional pair of wheel cylinders for subject ATV? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks
    • By toonces
      Have a 2011 Grizz 700 and for the diff oil the manual calls for SAE 80 API GL-4 hypoid gear oil. I'll be using Mobil 1 synthetic but as it comes in two different weights I'm not sure which one to get....either the 75W-90 or the 75W-140.
      The 75W-90 is listed as GL-5 and is recommended for use in 'high-performance vehicles like SUVs, vans and light duty trucks.' The 75W-140 weight is also GL-5 and is recommended for 'high-performance vehicles including sport utility vehicles, vans and light-duty trucks.'
    • By toonces
      Have a 2011 Grizz 700 and for the diff oil the manual calls for SAE 80 API GL-4 hypoid gear oil. I'll be using Mobil 1 synthetic but as it comes in two different weights I'm not sure which one to get....either the 75W-90 or the 75W-140.
      The 75W-90 is listed as GL-5 and is recommended for use in 'high-performance vehicles like SUVs, vans and light duty trucks.' The 75W-140 weight is also GL-5 and is recommended for 'high-performance vehicles including sport utility vehicles, vans and light-duty trucks.'