FireTechFerrell

1995 Honda Fourtrax 300 4X4 Rear Brake Drum Issue

6 posts in this topic

help i need help getting off the rear brake drum im down to it and cant get it to break loss.

i heated it beatted and pryed. no luck is there a trick or something. :confused:

Please post the year of your machine. Do you have the cover off? There is a cover bolted on over the brake drum. If so, does the drum wiggle at all, or is it completely stuck? Make sure the brakes are completely released, you may try loosening the adjustment screws all the way. Also, there may be a dampener ring in the drum that is hanging up on the shoes. You may find a service manual to be of great help as well.

yes i have the cover off and the brake is released. I see that its on the splines of the shaft is there a puller that i need looks like its just froze. the bike looks to be a 95 fourtrax 300 4x4.

yes i have the cover off and the brake is released. I see that its on the splines of the shaft is there a puller that i need looks like its just froze. the bike looks to be a 95 fourtrax 300 4x4.

* Adjusted your thread title to include year and make, also issue.

Sometimes you need to use a hammer and give it a couple of good hits toward the center on the front of the drum, to free it off the spline, otherwise you may just have a seized bearing race and will need a small brake pulller that you can probably get at an autoparts store or Sears. If that's teh case, you will need to replace the bearing.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure on that model if the bearing is inside the drum or in a hub assembly...:confused:

Thanks for the info.. I used a large puller and alittle heat and off it came. Now im down to the brake shoes.

Thanks for the info.. I used a large puller and alittle heat and off it came. Now im down to the brake shoes.

Glad to hear that you got it off!!!