KrazyRdR83

TRX 400 ex dies when hot...

8 posts in this topic

I want to thanks those in advance that help me out with this.

Lately I've been having some running issues with this thing. When I first start it up, runs fine with no issues. I'll ride it for up to 5 minutes, and when nice and hot, idle begins to drop and eventually cuts off.

Carb has been taken off a few times now to make sure things are clean, filter was cleaned, valves were adj as they were a little loose (when adj it actually took a bit longer to die). For some reason I can't get to the sparkplug...? What else, oh, petcock was replaced, and made sure fresh has was used. When I try to restart it will only start if I give it gas, and when I try to let it idle, it idles really low then cuts off.

But once I let it cool down long enough, it will start up (off the choke) every time and idle, take it for another ride, and when up to operating temps or higher issue comes back.

Juan

sounds like to me its sucking air when it gets hot the motor parts are shrinking and creating a gap or your coil is dieing off when hot weaking the spark it takes a thin wall 18mm socket to remove it becarefull or youll break it the gap is 24-26mm gap.

I am thinking you have an ignition problem, some ignition components will start to fail when they get warm. Ride it until it dies then pull the plug wire off and check for spark. If there is none, start checking ignition parts, coil, CDI, stator, pickup, plug wire, and all wires and switches in the ignition circuit.

It's an 05...but got it figured out.

Here's what was going on, after checking things over and over again. Got it running and hot, put the air box back on, and as I went to put the crankcase vent on, it would start to die. Once removed the idle would pick back up. So this whole time, once the motor got up to temp, the crankcase vent hose would pull air away from the carb...

If this condition is accompanied by smoking/oil burning, then you probably have leaky intake valve guides or seals. If there is no smoke, then you may have a problem with the crankcase ventilation system, perhaps a clogged filter.

No smoke at all. What else could be clogged? Filter was cleaned, also has the k&n top box with precharger. It's the only hose coming out of the case to the intake track.

I'm sorry, I did not mean the air cleaner, there is a second blow by tube on the valvle cover, it may have a filter on it, or it may run into the airbox. Either way, make sure nothing is obstructing it. Also, the lower tube that comes out of the crankcase is connected to a catch tank that attatches to the intake tube, make sure that tank is not clogged either.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ut1w7b
      I have a 94 sportsman 400. It sat for several years before i got it. I have cleaned the carb it will start and run for about 5 min then it will flood. I have torn it down and cant see anything wrong. has anyone else ran into this problem any hel would be great.
    • By ej200421
      i was wondering if i could get some help. i been trying to locate where the fuel and air adjustment screws are located on my 95 kodiak 400. i think i found the fuel screw.. i know where the throttle adjuster is but i cant find the air screw. or is there an air adjustment on these carbs?
    • By M0BJT
      Hi Everyone
      This is my first post and I was wondering if there is anyone who can help me solve a problem I have with my Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 Fitted with a Mikuni Carburetor . The year of the quad is around 1998, the reason I am not sure of the date is, there wasn't any paperwork and no details on the frame either.
      The quad had a bad leak from the carb overflow which indicated that the float needle valve was blocked or passing so I replaced this and put everything back together. The quad ran really well until I took it onto some rough ground to have a ride around, a few hours later the engine started to run really rough as if the engine was flooding. I have removed the carb again and cleaned the needle valve out and the whole of the carb just in case there where any dirt behind it. Engine now runs fine again but fuel has started to run out the carb overflow again.
      I have tried everything to try and stop the fuel leaking out the overflow but its still happening. My last thoughts where to adjust the float level and its still happening.
      Has anyone got any thoughts on the problem or could suggest whats causing the fuel leaking out the overflow.
      Thanks for reading
      Kevin
    • By PWRUMLEY
      Need some advise pls. Couldn't get the quad to start put a new cdi on it fired right up rode for about a week, now it starts just fine but will only idle for a few minutes then die, but will fire right back up...now it's running a little rough I rode it for about an hour and it started missing out when I even touched the throttle. I cleaned the carbs and cleaned the plug rechared the k&n air filter, still fired right up but same thing, it won't stay idleing and misses out and wants to die when I give it gas. It seems like it's getting too much gas or not enough not sure, or possibly a vacuum issue. Any suggestions
    • By JenWal85
      Hope someone can help with this one.
      We took our 1984 Honda TRX 200 to the shop and they had it for about 2 weeks before they finally called and said that they had cleaned the carb and changed the battery and that it had started up.
      We went and got it and when we got home it would not start so we called them, they said bring it back in, so we did. They called us the next day and said they changed the spark plug, and that it was running. We went and got it again and it ran when we drove it off the truck.
      We parked it for about an hour because we were going to get ready to go on a ride. Well, it wouldnt start again.
      So we called them and they said the last thing they could do was order a new CDI box and put that on. I decided to just buy it myself, so I didnt have to pay them labor again. We put the new one on today and its still not starting.
      Does anyone have any ideas on what we could check to see what in the world is going on with this thing?
      Please and Thank you