southfulton52

98 yamaha grizzly 600 problems?????

9 posts in this topic

while riding a few days ago, my quad did great through the mud, but while driving it back home, running about 35mph, it seemed like i lost all power and the quad just died. i put it in neutral and started it back up, drove another half mile and it did it again, i had to have my buddy pull me the rest of the way home. the quad turns over but is acting like its not getting any fuel or maybe some spark plug problem? im not for sure why its doin this, i was thinking it got a lil too wet?, maybe water in places that it shouldnt have any? hope to hear something back, thanks

ive checked the spark plug, and its getting spark.

ive pulled the airbox off and there was no water in it.

i have no clue.

Edited by southfulton52
more info

Try taking out the plug and using a hose with a funnel to add like a tablespoon of gas to the cylinder then quickly put the plug back in and see if it fires up. I had an issue with the float and needle not allowing fuel to flow properly in mine ethanol eats away at the materials and any small amount of dirt can cause a sticky needle may need a cleaning or rebuild . Just a thought

i appreciate your reply, my buddy told me to use carb cleaner and spray in the intake and try to fire it up, i'll let ya know how it goes, might be a few days before i can get to it, thanks again!

Carb cleaner isnt highly flammable and wont act as gas to start the engine and also if you have the air box lid off youll mess up the air fuel mixture setting making it even harder to start better off doing the method I stated above, but anyway good luck

well the problem is in the carb somewhere. the quad is getting too much fuel. but the jets that are in the carb are stock. so im planning on buying a carb rebuild kit and see how that goes, i guess if that doesnt work, then the next step is buying a new carb. anyone got any good sites for buying atv parts? thanks!

Cheap Cycle Parts is the best prices Ive found for factory parts but a new carb is going to be just a tad over 400 bucks, I just bought one for my 98 and if you go that route I suggest you put in an inline fuel filter and also never use gas with ethanol again. It eats the plastic parts up over time and causes issues.

wow didnt realize a new carb would be that high priced for such an old quad. i did purchase a new air filter and in line fuel filter when it does get running again. thanks for the replys!

Hey what I did was take a product call Sea Foam and took off the air filter through 2 cap fulls in the air intake hose held my hand over it in till it choked itself out let it sit for a 5 to 10 min then started it back up and has never run better this stuff is great I use it in all my fuel cans and wheelers it cleans out the gunk hope this helps also almost sounds like you had a fuel vacuum issue check you fuel cap and make sure the tank is breathing right and not causing a vacuum where it would choke itself out Good Luck Greg