Quantcast

How do I get ready for storage?

Desert season is over for the year and I need to store my quad in the garage till next season. I am not sure what the best way to store it is. Do I need to drain the gas? Should I do and oil change now or wait until right before my first ride next season? This is my first quad and I am learning as I go.

Well,,,,If you seriously do not plan on riding it until Oct. or so....I would Drain the Fuel,,,Also drain the Carb Bowl or just Fire it up after draining the Fuel and let it run out....Get the tires to where they are not or just Barely touching the Ground,,,Pull the battery and put it on a Trickle charger....

I think that is about it.....

Anyone else have more ideas....????

Desert season is over for the year and I need to store my quad in the garage till next season. I am not sure what the best way to store it is. Do I need to drain the gas? Should I do and oil change now or wait until right before my first ride next season? This is my first quad and I am learning as I go.

Well, it looks like you got some answers you were looking for?! :wink::yes:

changing the oil when it comes to long time storage, now or later is going to get varied responses...some say now some say later. if the oil is dirty and you have free time then go ahead and change the oil. BUT if your not going to use the atv till next season, you can put it on the back burner for a lil while and get to it when you get to it...no harm will be done with oil just sitting in the motor if the atv is not being used that is

Put some kind of stabilizer in the oil, it is best to store with clean oil. You can either drain the gas or put stabilizer in that too, just make sure you run it enough to make sure the stabilized fuel gets to the carb. Seafoam works well, I have had a generator on standby for the last 3 years with the same tank of gas, and have had the same gas in my Blazer for probably 6 years or more. They both have seafoam in the fuel. It works great for cleaning carbon deposits from the motor too.

Edited by DirtDemon

changing the oil when it comes to long time storage, now or later is going to get varied responses...some say now some say later. if the oil is dirty and you have free time then go ahead and change the oil. BUT if your not going to use the atv till next season, you can put it on the back burner for a lil while and get to it when you get to it...no harm will be done with oil just sitting in the motor if the atv is not being used that is

Sorry I missed this post earlier. Please keep in mind, I am not saying this to be an as*, but storing your motor with dirty oil in it, is not the best idea. Depending on just how dirty the motor is, deposits may form and stick inside the engine, even after you drain the oil out. These gummy deposits can then move about the motor once it is put back into service and clog vital oil passages causing costly damage to the engine. I realize that if you maintain your machine properly, the oil will probably never get dirty enough to cause any real problems, but none the less, it is best to store the machine with fresh oil that has stabilizer in it, or drain it while the motor is still warm so any harmful deposits are more likely to drain out with the oil and store it dry.