Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

1992 Suzuki LT-230E running poorly, help please!!!

zeigfeld

Hey there i have 1994 suzuki 230 or 250 im not sure what one it has no plastics at all as you can see in my display picture a pull start and is semi auto and is not 4x4 the guys at the store said it was a 250 but it looks nothing like the ones i seen on google could you help me figure out what one i own.

also i am having issues with it some times i run it for a bit and it begins to bog and sounds like it is missing and other times it runs fine.

if i baby it i can run it all day but if i push it and not to hard but giving it a good run or top out 5th gear for 5mins it beguins to do the same but after letting it sit for 5-10 mins it will bog out or start fine.

any one with any info to this i would love to know what you think i havent the slitest clue and im to go riding this friday!!!![/size][/size]

Edited by zeigfeld

If it is a '94, it is an LT-F250T, there were only 5 models available from Suzuki in '94, 2 4wd models, the Quadsport 80, the Quadrunner 160 and your Quadrunner 250. I would venture to guess that the motor could be getting a little tired and may just need a rebuild. I would do a compression test, if it is low, plan on rebuilding the motor. If the compression is ok, then I would suspect a failing CDI is most likely the cause of your poor performance. I would highly recommend purchasing a repair manual for your machine. It will have alot of info you will need, as well as some troubleshooting tips and some electrical tests that you can perform on some of the ignition components.

I'm not 100% sure what the compression should be on that motor, but I would guess that it should be around 120-130 psi. If it is getting to be around 100 or less, the motor may run, but it will be fairly weak. Once again, a repair manual may be of use to you, all the specs and tolerances for the motor will be in there. Check ebay for a Clymer manual for your model, they are fairly cheap, if you want to spend a little more money, a factory service/repair manual is the best way to go. If you call a dealer tech, they may be able to tell you exactly what the compression should be.

I have merged your new thread into this one, as your new question is still relavent to the existing thread.

Before you go buying a new CDI, I would recommend doing two things. First, make sure exactly what you have there. I was thinking that it is a little strange that you know what year your machine is, but did not know exactly what model you have. Are you taking someone else's word that it is a 1994 machine? Do you have a registration or title that tells you what year and model the quad is? If you are mistaken, and it is just one year older, you could have an LT-230E for all you or I know. That is a completely different machine than the LT-F250T, the LT 230E is more sport oriented and is chain driven with a solid axle, the LT-F250T has a motor that sits very far to the rear, the tranny is directly geared to the rear end and has 4 wheel independent suspension. It is hard to see it well, but after looking more closely at the pic in your avatar, I would say it is more likely that you have the LT-230E. Second, when you figure out exactly what you have, you should get a repair manual for it and do some tests on the other ignition components before you go and buy a new CDI. They are not cheap, and you don't want to go and buy one just to find out that you have a weak ignition coil or something. When you do finally figure out the problem part, you can look up your specific machine on an online parts fische and find exactly what you need. Online parts retailers will have better prices than local dealerships. I would recommend Babbits Sports Center, Service Honda or Bike Bandit, they all have simple parts lookups and decent prices on OEM parts. I am sorry to confuse you on what machine you have, but I based my first answer on the premis that your machine was in fact a 1994. If it is indeed a 1994, I think the only thing that could be is an LT-F160T, all the other models Suzuki produced in 1994 look nothing like what you have in that avatar picture. I think it is more likely that your quad is a 1987-1993 LT-230E.

Edited by DirtDemon

i was just getting the info from the guy i bought it off of so i threw a couple more pictures up in my profile to see if that will helps im going to check the little label on the bike that says but i dont think it has all the info

how many came with electric and pull start and semi auto trans and reverse

Edited by zeigfeld

I looked at your pictures and you are right, that is definately the LT-230E. Did you read my last post all the way, have you determined that it is definately the CDI? Did you see the part where I talked about looking the machine up at an online parts site, google the names I mentioned and look up your machine, the CDI and every other part for that quad will be on there. I would also try what Stoopidbot suggested, Drain and clean the tank, petcock and carburetor REALLY WELL. There is a good chance that it sat for a while and whatever gas was in it went bad and gummed up the fuel system. If that is all ok, then GET A REPAIR MANUAL and test the other ignition parts. I would really hate to see you spend $165 on a new CDI, just to find out it was not the problem. If it turned out to be a weak coil, it would only cost you about $60. You might aslo want to make sure that the spark plug boot has a good connection to the coil wire. You can screw it off the wire and check to make sure there is good clean wires at the end of the coil wire, if they look tore up, just take a pair of dykes and cut tiny bits off unil you have good clean wires at the end of the coil wire. Like Bot said, rule out the simple stuff before you go and buy parts expensive parts.

Once again, I wish you luck, and hope you can get this thing running good for you.

Here are some links to a couple of manuals, the first one is more specifically oriented toward the Suzuki 230 and 250 Quadsports and Quadrunners, but it does not specifically list the LT-230E as being in the book, the machines it does cover are similar, but there are alot of differences in some of the parts. The second one is a more generalized manual covering many ATVs, but the LT-230E is listed as being in this manual and it does cover the ignition systems of the machines, so I think this one would be a better choice.

Suzuki LT230, LT250 ATV Repair Manual by Clymer 1985-1990

ATV Service Manual Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Suzuki, Yamaha ATVs 1988-1992 Clymer 9780872885141

These are some links to online parts retailers where you can look up your ATV and find parts.

Babbitts Sports Center | Arctic Cat OEM Parts | Can-Am (Bombardier) OEM Parts | Honda OEM Parts | Kawasaki OEM Parts | Polaris OEM Parts | Sea-Doo OEM Parts | Ski-Doo OEM Parts | Suzuki OEM Parts | Yamaha OEM Parts

OEM Parts, OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

ServiceHonda.com - Parts lookup with accessory lookup, HTML System. - ServiceHonda.com

There are places that you can download manuals in PDF format, it is difficult to find them for free, but they are still usually cheaper than the book versions. I personally like to have the book beside me in the garage so I can reference it while I am working on the machine. As opposed to running inside to check the computer or getting my laptop dirty and greasy by using it while I am working in the garage. Given that I only found one manual that even has your machine even being listed as included in the manual, I think it would be difficult to find that same manual for download anywhere. But if you want to give it a try, start using your search engine. I also a factory manual at RM ATV, it is expensive, but it is going to be the best manual you can find this is the only one I have been able to find that is specifically designated to your quad, and is worth the money IMO. I also found another one for a little less, here are some links, I know they aren't cheap and I know they won't be in your hands instantly, but they are the best thing for you. Looking at the condition that quad is in, you are going to be working on it more than you might think. I would atleast spring for the one I recomended in my last post, it is only going to be about $27 shipped, and it covers alot of different machines, so if you ever got another one, you may already have a manual to help you with it.

Dirt Bike | ATV | Service Manuals | Repair Manuals | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

http://www.repairmanual.com/online/official-1987-1993-suzuki-lt230e-factory-service-manual-99500-42075-01e

Edited by DirtDemon

Well i managed to get my quad running properly and dirtdevil ide like to thank you for making sure i didnt buy the cdi box be for i went over the little things. it happened to be a little set screw that is on the carb that drains the float bowl it happened to keep backing off due to the shaking of the quad on the trails. i hope that this was all the issue was but it ran fine all day after adjusting so ill keep you all updated!!.:yes:

Glad to hear it is working well for you, how do you like the quad. I used to have an LT-230S Quadsport, which is essentially the same quad with a manual clutch and a kick starter. Looks nearly identical to what yours would look like if it had fenders. I loved that thing, my dad got it new in '86, and handed it down to me a couple years later. When it started getting a little worn, we traded it for a new Yamaha Blaster in '92.

I love this quad it really has some power for a 230cc motor and the gearing is amazing in first gear i can litterly crawl any thing. I have the 250 front tires and rear tires so i have alot more clearance and traction. On friday i crossed a fairly good size river just left it in first gear and the thing putted through. This easily was the best 440$ i have ever spent!!!.:biggrin:

so i was having no issues with my quad the last ride but last friday i took my quad out and had a good run it ran all day no with no problams and then it hit it started to act up the same way it usaly dose but this time i couldnt feather out the bog and shifting down did nothing either and so it died so i did what i always do let it sit then it would start fine but this time it wouldnt start i pulled and pulled on the pull start nothing i tried getting a tow and droping the gear nothing so we took it back to the trailer and did the old air fuel spark after checking the first two we took out the spark plug and checked for spark what a suprise there was none so we took the spark cap off and behold my issue it was broken and smashed all to hell how it happened i have no clue but it had been like that for awile now to replace it all and try again ill let you know the out come

Edited by zeigfeld

Most likely it has been hotwired.

So I am gathering that you mean that the plug cap was broken, not the spark plug, is that correct? Why do you want to buy a whole new coil if all you need is the cap? Click this link, and look up your machine, using the dropdowns. When you get to the parts fische for your machine, select electrical from the dropdown menu, if all you need is a new plug cap, then items 12, 13, and 14 are what you need. If you really do need a coil it is there too, item 8. These guys and Service Honda usually have the lowest prices on OEM parts. In this case, Babbits prices are a few bucks cheaper.

http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/1/Suzuki.aspx

Edited by DirtDemon

hey dirt demon not just the cap was broken but the wire that comes from the coil to the plug cap was rotten so i just replaced it all not OEM but it works. today i changed it all over to the new coil wire and cap it tried to start but be for i could get a good pull the pull start cord snapped and i didnt really get much out of it but it tried to turn over when i did pull it or push start it unlike the old one. thats why i was asking about the being able to pull start the quad in the ignition off position because i wanted to figure if i need to turn the key to use the electrical start because the electrical start dose nothing currently and same for the head light and break light.