himey29

2002 Suzuki Eiger lt400 missing and popping

6 posts in this topic

Hello,i have a 2002 Eiger that i bought new,i have only put 900 miles on it,it stays in my garage most of the time,last oct. it started out the engine would die till it got warmed up,now it misses and pops i dont know it its a backfire or not,but it seems to do it most when im in 1st gear,when i shift to 2nd and up it runs great,it more in higher rpm,it did sit up for about 3 months before it started doing this,does anyone have any anwsers for this?Thanks

You may not be getting enough fuel. It may be time to remove that carb and give it a good cleaning. How is your choke working, is it fully operational? If you adjust you idle control screw, does it run better?

I agree, a machine that sits alot is going to be prone to carb problems. Most likely needs a good cleaning.

Haven't seen you in a while Mr. ATVmechanic, good to see you are still hangin around.

Hi Guys,I took the carb off yesterday and it looked great inside,i went ahead and cleaned it and put it back on but it still is doing it.The choke works great.I have turned the idle screw up and it did make it idle higher but didnt make it run any better so i turned it back down,i checked the vacume line also and it was clear,im running out of ideals...lol,Any help would be great.Also what is the gap on this spark plug?Im gonna go ahead and change it but i dont think this will help but it cant hurt.Thanks for your help.

Do you have an owners manual, it should have the plug gap specs. How is your air cleaner? Have you moved to a higher or lower elevation since the last time you rode it? What does your spark plug look like now?

when mine did that I too thought fuel and even rebuilt carb. replace the spark plug and still popping, I decided to replace the spark plug boot and problem was solved. there is a resister in it that goes bad.