Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

ltz 400 starting issue please help

gtpx02

Try jumping the wires for your starter at the starter solenoid, it should be under the seat (mine is for an LTA-400F). It will look something similar to this

P1010179_1.JPG

Use a screw driver and touch the two posts with the two large wires.

If it starts then it is either a wiring, solenoid, or switch issue.

If it does not start then check the voltages on the large posts one should be 12+ volts the other should be 0 volts. If both are 0 then you have an issue with the cable coming from the battery. Now while testing the one with 0 volts push the start button it should jump to 12. If it does not then continue on to my next paragraph. If it does then continue on down the wire and check the voltage at the starter motor and see if it is reading 12 volts. If it does then check the grounding for the starter make sure it is good. If it does not then there is possibly a break in that wire. You can also directly test the starter by using jumper cables put the negative on the Atv frame and the positive on the starter positive and it should turn over. If not then you most likely have a bad starter.

Now if you are not getting 12 volts on the other wire or it does start when you jump the wires.

Check the other set of wires going to the solenoid see if the voltages change when you push the start button. If they do then you have a bad solenoid if not then it is probably a fuse or start switch or broken wire somewhere along route from the switch to the solenoid.

Let me know what you get and I will try to help you further

I jumped the starter T the selinoid and it was cranking strong as could be. I'm starting to maybe lean towards a bad switch. I just got done doing valve clearances so. hopefully it will fire once I get the starter issue worked out. this whole big bore build has been a bit of a nightmare since day one. thanks for the help for sure keep the ideas rolling I am deffinetly not to proud to ask for help.

please excuse my spelling and grammar doin this all from my Droid not my computer.

ok did you test the voltages on the connector going to the solenoid if they change then you switch is good and your solenoid is bad. If not then most likely your switch is bad or there is a break in the wiring somewhere

Hey off topic but I see your in PA. Have you ever been to Wellsville, Ohio to go riding?

Also you can start the atv that way, just dont leave it jumped too long while starting. 5 sec on and 15 sec off until it starts should be great. This is how I start my boys POS chinese atv.

Edited by footbal9584

Well i guess take the switch apart and jump the contacts in there and see if it starts if it does then it probably just needs a good wire brushing otherwise its a wiring issue.

We went to Hatfield a few years ago. It sucks though cuz we are about 45 min south of cleveland and all the good atv places are like 2-3 hours away from us. Oh well it is worth the drive. My wheel bearing went out on my Eiger over the weekend at Wellsville, so we took our 2000 Jeep GC out on the trails. It did pretty good even with street tires and no lift. That was FUN. Hey good luck with the starting issue man I just gave up on my boys and just jump the contacts now, maybe I'll tear it apart this winter

thanks for all the advice for sure. I remember what it used to be like stuck hours away from good riding. now I have a 117 acres kf backyard to rip around on with all the friends and there quads and Jeeps. gets boring after awhile so were always looking for new placea to ride. if u ever wanna take a road trip feel free to come on down for a day or 2 the more the better!@!