klarson

2005 Suzuki Vinsion 500, stalls when i give it gas

5 posts in this topic

My fourwheeler has always ran fine, but the other night when i was using it i shut it off and than started it back up a hour later and it started running terrible as soon as you give it gas. You can feather it along if the choke is on but still not running very good. any ideas????

My fuel level was at about 1/4 tank, and the fuel switch was in the reserve position

First thing I would try is draining the fuel and starting with fresh gas, you may just have some bad gas. I am assuming that the quad starts and idles fine, but as soon as you give it gas it runs like crap. If none of the other advise has helped, take the top off of the carb and look inside. Make sure that the spring, retainer and needle are all as they should be. I have seen problems with these carbs with the floating slide. The needle retainer breaks and slips up into the spring and doesn't hold the needle down anymore. So when you give it gas, the butterfly valve opens letting air throught the venturi, which lifts the slide valve. Since the needle may not be sitting in the proper position, it may be allowing the main jet to open too early, flooding the engine. If every thing looks ok in the top of the carb, take the float bowl off and make sure there is no debris in the carb pluggin things up.

if you are running on reserve then there is a chance that the fuel filter is plugging up in the tank or your tank is actually lower and ther is not enough fuel supply to run the throttle. i agree with DD and drain the fuel system and clean the crap out of the tank, fuel pump, fuel filter. if that does not help then pull the carb out and clean it.

your friendly neighbourhood mechanic.