Quantcast

Suzuki Vinson 500 4x4 2002 Carb Problems

ccrider5733

I need some help. I sunk my quad a few months ago. Meaning that water got inot my carb. So I chainged the oil several times until it became clean. Took the carb off and cleaned it. I ran it a few times and noticed it was running a little rich. What i mean is very high rpms once the quad got warmed up. I also noticed that the oil had gotten more liquid in it then when i originally filled it up. What i found out was that my carb was over flowing w fuel. It was draining out of carb into airfilter box. noticed there was a crack in hose going to airfilter and gas was coming out sitting on top of crank case seeping into it filling my oil up w gas. I think I solved the problem w gas getting into case by fixing the hose. But now for some reason the carb seems to be still getting flooded w gas. I bought carb rebuild kit and changed the jets that come from the bowl where the float is and the needle like thing that hangs onto the float and stops fuel from coming in so I thought. I got a friend of mine over who knows carbs better then I do and seemed puzzled as well. we concluded that there might be some oil mixed in w the gas that was over flowing in carb. I can get quad to fire and run for a short while until it gets flooded. But while its running you can only give it bout half throttle then it just dies. Any help or suggestions would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to run the same on reserve and yes I did change the float pivot pin and nothing seemed to be hanging. Dont think there was any corrosion best I could tell. There is a small bowl like thing on the side of carb that has a rubber seal that is shaped like a bow with a spring inside it. when I took it off to clean it, there was quite a bit of corrosion inside of it. There was also a small oring inside that same piece that went around a penhole that looked maybe fuel or something went in it.

Do a compression test, water does not like to compress in the cylinder, you could have blown your rings out, cold water could have bent a hot valve. I assume you cleaned or replaced the air filter? Also there are some very small holes in the carb that could still be clogged with sediment, you need to check and clean EVERY area of the carb. Lastly, check for air leaks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By Tuzz
      Bucking started about a month ago and works ok after 1/2 hour warmup.  Today while working on it i discovered that if i put the ignition switch in LIGHT position it runs fine right from the start.
      I'm stumped!  Any idea why this could be?  

• By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.
    • By Suzukiquad
      Hi, I have been around everything with a motor since I was little, and finally purchased more to get my husband, and kids involved. I have 4 quads I will be searching around for information on. I have two 2002 Suzuki LT80K quads, a 1997 Yamaha Timberwolf 250, and a 1996 Kawasaki Bayou 220. I have had different ones throughout the years, and plan on buying another Yamaha Banshee. I plan on trying to learn more about all of them, so I can customize some of them. I know nothing about them besides how to race them, my dad always took care of the rest, but figured it was time for me to learn.