Fourtrax_300

1992 Honda Fourtrax engine switch

9 posts in this topic

is it hard to take a 1992 Honda Fourtrax trx300A 2x4 engine out and put a newer engine in like a fuel injected 420cc engine that honda has and makeing it into 4 wheel drive

yes it is hard to do. Easier to go buy a 420 from the showroom, really. that's the truth...

The '86 and '87 TRX 350 A seems to have the same crankcase design. It would be a step up in displacement, but I don't know if it would really be much of an upgrade. Are you looking to stick something else in there because you want a better motor, or is there something wrong with the one you have?

well the engine i got on it right now it is on it's 2nd rebuild with in a year and i don't know if it is going to last and i'm just want to know if you just can put a newer engine on it to replace it with a better engine with more power

I think your best bet would be to sell your quad and look for a different one. Since you are dealing with a 2wd, shaft driven machine, your choices of a direct swap are probably limited to the motors I mentioned in my previous post. A motor out of a newer Foreman 500 2wd may be doable, but it would take work and would probably not be worth the time, effort and money. Not only do you need the motor it there, but you need all the electrical, the ignition system and the intake, carb and exhuast systems to fit in there as well. A motor swap is more difficult and expensive than most people realize. Things need to be moved, mounts need to be fabricated, and improvisations need to be made. You would really be best just getting a different quad that better suits your needs.

Edited by DirtDemon