irishdude

does back fireing damage my quad?

7 posts in this topic

my chinese quad back fires when deceleration and was wondering if it is a big issue because i have a feeling that its going to be a big job with the carb to get it running right

any help is much appreciated

It's not great, it's detonation when there shouldn't be and that stresses the motor. Try cleaning the carb and checking the air filter.

Has the quad sat for an extended amount of time? Like over winter? Gas may have gummed up the carb.

right lads i will strip down the carb its just that its in an awkward spot and i just put on some gasket sealant.. oh ya will i need to remove the gasket sealant when re assembling it or will the dried stuff be ok?

The carb should have o-ring gaskets, they are fine to re use as long as they are not brittle or damaged. The backfire itself will not likely damage anything, but the condition that is causing it could. I would start my checking the carb, air filter and valve adjustment.

backfiring can cause overstreatch of the head bolts and if it is on the down speed then it is usually overfueling and detonation.

i took her for a spin today and there was no back fireing atall!!!! did it just fix itself??