predrider305

450r shocks on 400ex?

9 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has already been posted, but i read in DirtWheels magazine(awesome mag) that 450r shocks fit on a 400ex! Wondering if i need any modifications in order to do so? Also, it would make a noticeable difference right? Thanks for any imput :biggrin:

I think it would make a huge difference! I dont know if you need to mod anything to do it though, but lots of people have done it so someone else should be able to tell you that.

You will have to shave a small amount off the very top of the shock, where to the bolt goes through. Other than that, they work fine. Very nice upgrade from stock.

Some people find the 450R shocks to be a bit stiff and tall for the 400ex or 250R. But for a heavier rider this can be a good thing. I think they would work quite well with extended a-arms since the 450R is a bit wider than a 400ex. Overall, I believe they would be a good step up from stock, and much cheaper than aftermarket. I use a set of KFX 450R shocks on my 250R with +2 a-arms, and I think they work great.

I been thinking of doing this same thing on mine, the stock 400ex shocks are to dang rough

I been thinking of doing this same thing on mine, the stock 400ex shocks are to dang rough

Yep, "pogo stick shocks" as most people call them. At least with the 450r shocks you get some adjustments to make it work better for how you ride.

ill definatly be looking into some 450r shocks, rode my buddies 450 the other day and its so much smoother

Plus the 450r shocks are rebuild able so you can get them re tuned to match you even more

I did not have to shave the 450 shocks when I mounted them,I just took a screw driver and hammer and knocked off the nut welded to the frame that holds the front plastics above the shock.Then used a smaller carriage bolt upside down and bolted everything right up. The shocks made a big difference.