2002 Suzuki Eiger Drive Belt

5 posts in this topic

First, I'm a mechanical novice, so please bear with my ignorance, I'm trying.

02 Eiger LTA400 - 4wd Auto 400

Picked it up on the cheap due to assumed broken drive belt (motors starts, goes nowhere). Also has to be pull-started, seems starter is shot (or wiring is).

Pulled the cover off for the drive belt and definitely toast. Thing is he said he replaced not long ago, so suspicious of why it would break so quickly. He thought he had the wrong part, but looking at the part packaging, looks right to me (Dayco HP2027 - admittedly not highest quality belt, but still). I'm not an expert, but the primary and secondary do not seem to be lined up correctly? Any clues on this? Trying to upload pics to show...

Broken Belt

Help please!

Edited by bkpatt
Pics not working

The poor alignment of the belt sheaves could be the reason for premature failure of the drive belt. As for the cause of the misallignment, I would guess that there is a spacer or something missing from behind the drive pulley. Who knows, maybe that is the way it is supposed to be, it doesn't seem right though. If I were you, I would purchase a repair manual, that is the best way to be sure you are doing things right.

Actually Dayco belts in my opinion are junk and wear very fast, that is the correct belt, also fits the 05 model. I got a Carlisle belt instead, so far so good, only been a week on the Eiger, but have used them before, I will look to see if I can find the belt number if you need it. If you want to go to a dealer, they run up to 150.00!! Your primary and secondary may not look like they line up, but remember, they both go apart and come together as the unit runs. I really think it was just a cheap belt. Pic would be good, shoot me some of the primary, I wanna see if it is like my 05, if it is I have another suggestion we can try\look at. Pete

**I see the pic. thing is not working, if you wanna email them to me feel free...pete69edsel@msn.com****

Edited by pete59edsel
Added Info.

Ok, saw the pics. On the primary, look and see if all your "rollers" are there, should be 8 of them. If so, I'd just get a belt. If you need help on the belt, look at my 05 Eiger thread on here or hit me up.

UA 400 Carlisle Belt Number

Edited by pete59edsel
Added Belt Number

* Added full year and manufacturer into thread title per guidelines.