polaris400

1998 Honda 300ex Backfires, Stalls, Runs Hot

7 posts in this topic

I own a 1998 Honda 300ex The last two times I rode, probably for about an hour,I shut it off for ten or fifteen minutes and when I went to ride again it backfires and then stalls out. Also the motor seems incredibly hot.Then if I let it sit for a long time it starts and runs fine.Can anyone tell me what might be causing this and what will fix it? Thanks a lot!

Might want to check your spark plug and possibly need a rejetting, seems like you might be running too lean but Im not too sure.

Check/Replace the plug as mentioned above & check the air filter. Check for any air leaks also. It still may be your carb though.

* Added year, make, model, and issue into thread title.

I cleaned the carb,replaced the plug and switched air filters and i"m going to try it out today.Ill let you know. Thanks

Took it for a rip and stalled out in the first five minutes. just for the heck of it I stopped at the gas station and put new gas and ind now its fine. It was bad gas!! Feel kinda stupid,but glad its back in action. Anyway, thanks you everyone for your help!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By sloundez
      Does anyone out there know where I can get a functional pair of wheel cylinders for subject ATV? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks
    • By marcuslachance
      I
      I bought a Honda 250sx 1986 but the exhaust is broken. Apparently it's not possible to order a new one. I checked to order one on others compagny but there's noting.
      Do you know which exhaust it's possible to install. Is there a company who sold an exaust to fit on my 250sx.
      Sorry for my english
      Thank you
      Marc
    • By Npeters
      Im working on a old 1987 honda 125 4 wheeler in the school shop. It will start by getting pulled by another 4 wheeler but wont start with the pull start or Electric Start. When you pull start it it tries to start but when you try the electric start it just turns over but doesnt even act like it wants to start. The spark plug is dry and it shoots fuel out of the back(air filter side) of the carb. Weve had the carb off twice and it is complety clean. What are some things we can try?
    • By mallen14
      Looking for anybody who can point me towards a free service manual for 1998 Big Bear 350. I found the sticky thread but all the links, from 2012, no longer work. If anybody has one please let me know. Thanks
    • By Kingquad1
      Hello I am new hear. I just purchased a 1998 Big Bear. It was sitting for 3yrs in storage. The guy I bought it from got the carb cleaned and it runs good. I am having problems with the neutral light. When I shift into neutral the light does not come on. If I mess with the gear shifter, I can get it to come on so I can start it. I can still pull the hand brake and start it that way. I cant find the neutral safity switch on this machine. Any suggestions would be great.