superchief

2002 400ex valve covers

14 posts in this topic

Bigger rachet.... What is the problem you are having? Is it stripping or just hard to take off. If you use a little heat you might warp the covers and def will ruin the gaskets. Try a lil Pblaster and let em soak for a while

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Edited by marioweldinginc

Kroil or maybe some heat, IDK if thats a good idea, just wondring because someone might have put Loc-Tite in them.

at this point I would say bigger rachet/wrench. as the saying goes no replacement for displacement. That also is true for the size of your wrench. Remove as much plastic to get in there easier and get the best leverage. I would stay away from heat because its aluminum and it would warp very easy. Same reason you dont remove/install a sparkplug on a hot aluminum head. try an impact gun if available.

I work on heavy equipment and when removing pistons that are 12" in diameter we would have no problem using a 20 ft piece of pipe to gain leverage.

i cant seem to get the adjuster covers off my valve cover on my 400ex any ideas?

I asume your trying to adjust the valves !Those should not be that tight !! I would take the valve cover off and work on it that way

Follow quadnuts advice and take the valve cover off. Might need a new gasket. When you have it off bring it to a shop (machine,mechanic,motorcycle dont matter) and toss them a few bucks and see if they can remove it

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

its already off im rebulding the top end cuz my piston seixed before i bought the bike

Are you staying stock ?

yes got all but one off now the motor is completely rebuilt and butting everything up tomorrow. but i have a problem, one of the header bolts striped out in the head what can i do without removing the head! help please

yes got all but one off now the motor is completely rebuilt and butting everything up tomorrow. but i have a problem, one of the header bolts striped out in the head what can i do without removing the head! help please

One of the two bolts that hold the head pipe on ?