chevelle

1994 Yamaha Timberwolf 4X4 won't go into gear

4 posts in this topic

My daughter put it into gear while off and cold then I couldn't get it out of first. After alot of rocking it I finally got it into neutral and cranked. Then it wouldn't go into gear. The shifter feels like it is cycling into the gears (neutral light goes out too) but no hint of engagement. Any ideas? I'm going to open it up next week when I have time.

Can you start those in gear with the hand brake held? What do you mean by cycling into gears?

* Added full year and manufacturer to thread title.

The brake safety switch was removed long ago on this machine (previous owner). By cycling the gears I mean the foot shift lever has the feel and sound (positive clicks) that it is actually going from neutral into first and back (neutral light goes off and on as it should) yet the bike stays in neutral no matter what you do (regardless of whether it is running or not.)

Check to make sure the reverse switch is all the way forward and locked in place. I have a 96 yamaha timberwolf 250 2x4 and sometime if I don't have it all the way to go forward or reverse it won't go in gear. I can cycle through every gear and the neutral light goes out but since its no locked to go forward or reverse it won't move. I hope this helps solve your problem if you haven't already figured out what the problem is