killer420

2010 Honda Rancher TRX420 will flat-shifting break it?

10 posts in this topic

i have a 2010 honda rancher trx420tm (footshift 2wd). i have on a couple of occasions accidentally shifted up without lifting off the throttle (known as a flatshift, or no-lift shift). i assume this is bad for it, but can't find any information thats says either, "yes, its fine" or "no, never do that".

it doesn't make any unusual noises, or do anything that would suggest improper operation (no sudden jerking motions, no hard shifting at other times).

any ideas?

it definately is quicker than shifting normally, just hoping this won't cause anything to break.

i have heard horror storys from doing that but i have never had any problems doing it and not seen any ... but its your machine and if it works for you and is not a prpb or causing any ... then its up 2 you if you will keep doin it

I have an 86 Yam moto4 200 with the semi auto. When I first let people ride it they never let go of the throttle when shifting. I can say it till im blue in the face but its always the first day out someone does it. That being said, Inever had a problem with the shifter. It always engages properly.

i had two hondas that i shifted that way from new and never a problem... although i would not recommend downshifting that way

honestly, honda has made their bikes so bulletproof, that anyone can try and kill them .... and not succeed IMO

Edited by oxidized_black

i had two hondas that i shifted that way from new and never a problem... although i would not recommend downshifting that way

honestly, honda has made their bikes so bulletproof, that anyone can try and kill them .... and not succeed IMO

i usually blip the throttle on downshifts when approaching a turn, rev matching keeps it from trying to lock the rear tires. when downshifting to accelerate, i always lift off the throttle, downshift, then go wide open.

because the clutch dis-engages anytime you move the shift lever, it really shouldn't hurt it to flatshift. might cause the clutch to wear a little quicker, but i have no problem with having that adjusted a bit more often.

i have a 2010 honda rancher trx420tm (footshift 2wd). i have on a couple of occasions accidentally shifted up without lifting off the throttle (known as a flatshift, or no-lift shift). i assume this is bad for it, but can't find any information thats says either, "yes, its fine" or "no, never do that".

it doesn't make any unusual noises, or do anything that would suggest improper operation (no sudden jerking motions, no hard shifting at other times).

any ideas?

it definately is quicker than shifting normally, just hoping this won't cause anything to break.

speed shifting can cause damage to cluthes and most of all damage to your clucth basket notch wear breaking of clutch basket ears if done repeatedly bent shifting forks it wont shift because clutches cant float/slide inside the basket.

That is absolutely correct. once in a while accidentally will not do any immediate damage but it will over time.

good to know, i guess i should make sure not to let it happen again. i do have an extended warranty, but i doubt they would cover it if thats considered abuse.

i usually blip the throttle on downshifts when approaching a turn, rev matching keeps it from trying to lock the rear tires. when downshifting to accelerate, i always lift off the throttle, downshift, then go wide open.

because the clutch dis-engages anytime you move the shift lever, it really shouldn't hurt it to flatshift. might cause the clutch to wear a little quicker, but i have no problem with having that adjusted a bit more often.

I have to blip the throttle to downshift on both my Moto4s. They never liked to downshift easy. I dont know why, the 85 was bought used and the 86 was bought new. and both do it

I blip the throttle when I downshift my 400ex although I dont have to its sorta habit.