drewster

2000 Arctic Cat 500 Starting Problem

10 posts in this topic

Just joined and hope someone out there can help. I am having an issue with my 2000 Arctic Cat 500 with 1,000 miles on it. All of a sudden it will not start. It was running fine all hunting season then three weeks ago it wouldnt start. It has spark and fuel gets to the carb. I have a service CD and it lists issues of not starting but without spark or without fuel to carb, but not one with spark and with fuel getting to carb. This is what I have done so far with no luck. I have drained and changed the fuel and added an inline fuel filter, cleaned the carb three times, replaced the choke cable (no reason just thought it might help),cleaned the air filter and changed the spark plug. What else could it be? I did not want to buy a CDI box or ignition coil without knowing for sure that is what it is. Would a bad CDI box still allow spark? Help....

Check for fuses. My old Suzuki use to do that during snowplowing season. Does it pull start. Also check all kill switches.

Ok, Buck you'er the man. It starts with the pull start (never thought of that). Fuses all are good. But why will it not start with the electic start? At least I'm rolling again.

Edited by drewster

Ok, Buck you'er the man. It starts with the pull start (never thought of that). Fuses all are good. But why will it not start with the electic start? At least I'm rolling again.
Charge the battery and try the electric start again also double check the fusees after that try.

Does the starter turn? It is located on top of the motor. Check to see if you hear it turning the engine over or free spinning. If it is not turning over take a meter and see if you have 12V at the starter.

Yes it is turning turning and the engine is turning over. Battery at full charge and it will just turn over and over.

Edit: I see you already checked the fuel.

Does it have a start in gear feature and is your brake light coming on?

Edited by swampcat07

Yes, it does have a start in gear function, and yes the brake light comes on when I pull the hand brake in to start it.

Let me see if I can find the wiring diagram.

The CDI does act up if the battery is low but that is not the case. The Ignition coil is like $25 and that was the first thing I replaced on mine along with larger guage starter wiring but that did not help.

I think it is the starter itself if i will start with the pullstart and keep running fine.

I know I had problems with the starter and I switched it out and all was fine. The brushes were bad. Same thing happened to my buddy with a 400.

The magnets on the flywheel have also been known to cause problems but I don't think the bike would run at all if that is the case.