jerod400ex

'02 Honda 400ex ticking noise

25 posts in this topic

hey guys this 400 of mine in 2003 was goin full speed wen the drain bolt on the oil tank came off all the oil ran out but my dad shut it off before serious damage could be done..... it ticks up high and if u hammer on it it ticks really loud as it gains speed and then wen u get it in 5th it acts like its in 4th still any idea wat this is

Your piston is hitting your valves... probaly going to have to replace valves, or at least get your valves adjusted, but they might be bent now since the piston was hitting it... if thats what it is.

Edited by Thayer40

ck says to get the kibble brand valves and guides and you should be ok with that[/QUO

ok i will check into tht..... so i need intake and exhaust valves with guides and the kibble brand?

take the rocker cover/cam cover off .. an make shure that the rockers and sub rockers are moving freely .. and go from there ... they can stick really quickly from loss of oil

take the rocker cover/cam cover off .. an make shure that the rockers and sub rockers are moving freely .. and go from there ... they can stick really quickly from loss of oil

stick for tht long of time lol:huh:

I dont know much about the best brand to get, they all gotta be somewhat good if they still make their product, so the brand isnt a big deal. I would go just look for your best price. I did the valve job on mine and it was like 18$ for one an 26$ for the other and they worked fine when it was running

I dont know much about the best brand to get, they all gotta be somewhat good if they still make their product, so the brand isnt a big deal. I would go just look for your best price. I did the valve job on mine and it was like 18$ for one an 26$ for the other and they worked fine when it was running

ahh isee.... thts good urs runs great :yes:

From my experiences, stay away from KibbleWhite. Yes they will stick open.

hmm im gonna have to get inside the motor...... tryin to just narrow down the problem

From my experiences, stay away from KibbleWhite. Yes they will stick open.

remember flappy this is a honda we r talkin bout lol:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ya it ran great for the time that i was able to run it... my starter clutch went out a little while after that so it isnt running right now. But when i replaced the valves, i had my timing chain off by 1 chain link and my piston was hitting my valves again, and i was worried about my valves bending but i got that fixed again at work this time and the valves werent bent at all and it ran great after that too.

Ya it ran great for the time that i was able to run it... my starter clutch went out a little while after that so it isnt running right now. But when i replaced the valves, i had my timing chain off by 1 chain link and my piston was hitting my valves again, and i was worried about my valves bending but i got that fixed again at work this time and the valves werent bent at all and it ran great after that too.

thts good mine is drivable just dont like the ticking noise lol and the way it acts in 5th

Are you able to do at least a valve adjustment by yourself? Because that might be all that is wrong with it and that way you will save a little money

Are you able to do at least a valve adjustment by yourself? Because that might be all that is wrong with it and that way you will save a little money

idk never tried it..... money to do the job isnt a problem i have an older cousin tht nos how to do all tht

Then i would just start with an adjustment. How many hours do you have on that?

hours?? u mean tht the motor has been tickin while riding it

:huh:

How many total hours do you have on the machine? if you know... Because it is good to get valve adjustments like every 750 hours

How many total hours do you have on the machine? if you know... Because it is good to get valve adjustments like every 750 hours

uh hahaha it was bought in 2002 new and has never had the motor open since lol

If you go 750hrs you won`t have any valves left !!! :confused: I use to do mine 2 times a year !!! on my 450R i do them every 50hrs or so !!!

If you go 750hrs you won`t have any valves left !!! :confused: I use to do mine 2 times a year !!! on my 450R i do them every 50hrs or so !!!

well i guess u would have some left... cause mines over 750 i no it is lol:laugh:

And i was told 750 hours on a rancher so thats what i went with but idk maybe not