Quantcast

Suzuki King Quad 300 - Start-In-Gear Mod

JustRandy

After looking at the wire diagram I saw the blue w/black stripe wire is coming from the neutral and reverse lights looking for ground thru the neutral and reverse switches. If it finds ground, the lights come on. The same wire also comes from the neutral relay looking for ground at the same neutral and reverse switches. So it was easy to trick the relay into thinking the engine is in neutral all the time without having the light on all the time. Just cut the blue w/black wire at the relay and ground it. Easy

Sorry the pics aren't better

1018021206.jpg

1018021213.jpg

1018021224.jpg

startingear.jpg

Now it starts in any gear and indicator lights work as they should.

You still need the key to start it. And the kill switch works. Everything works the way its supposed to except you don't have to find neutral to restart it if it dies. This is the 1st mod I do to any quad I get.

The honda 250ex was a real pain and this mod was a necessity. Honda went though significant effort to stop the engine from being started except in neutral. So even if you were cruising along in 5th gear at 50mph and turned the key off and back on real fast, the engine would not run again until you come to a complete stop, find neutral, and use the starter. If the battery died, you're out of luck. It cannot be push started and there are no backup pull cords or kickers. I have no idea why honda spent so much money to accomplish this. Honda was cool in the 80s, but the way they have been trending since has left me feeling like the H-word is a black mark to be avoided.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

For anyone with a 2001 or newer king quad you will have to a bit more work.  The CDI is looking for a ground signal from the neutral light.  This is why some people who have grounded the starter relay have had a crank but no fire condition.   The CDI is looking for the ground from neutral and not seeing it does not allow a spark.  I was worried at first that this might induce a  rev limitier (the CDI would think the machine is in neutral) but I grounded the starter relay and the CDI and all was good.  To recap, with the newer machines, if you cut the ground wire to the starter relay (blue/black) and want to keep the neutral light working like it should you'll need to cut the blue/black going to the CDI and ground that with the starter relay.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By Kawiherder
      It starts and runs Ok but after a while the temp gage lights up and the fan fails to start.  Any suggestions on where to start looking would be helpful.  Thanks
    • By adr94
      Hello,
      I was able to repair most of the little problems on my 2006 BRUIN. I still have little things to do...
      I changed the Hazard light Switch because it was not locking when pushed and now it is not working at all. When I connect it (not sure of the wiring -4 wires but a lot of connection possible on this HELLA 3916-01 switch-) the flashing lights button (on the handlebar) is acting like the Hazard light switch.
    • By Gwbarm
      My Yamaha Big Bear shifts through all the gears good, goes into reverse smoothly, but when i go to get out of reverse it takes a lot of effort to get it back to first gear, and even then it does not go very smoothly, have to pull up on the pedal really hard, anyone else ever had this problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.    
    • By Uglyside38
      Has anyone had any luck converting an older quad from a 7 wire CDI to the newer (and cheaper) 5 wire CDI? 

I have a 1988 Suzuki Quadrunner and I believe the CDI is on it's way out...🤦🏼‍♂️ A used CDI from 1988 goes for $250-$300 on the bay...and that's when you find them. The Chinese CDIs for the 1990 and up quadrunner are only about $40. I have read a blog from a guy who says it's possible and that 2 of the wires can be omitted if the rectifier is a newer one also. Any experience with this would be greatly appreciated!!!🤙