boostintt

2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 - DEAD / HELP

7 posts in this topic

new project just picked up.

2000 sportsman 500

absolutely nothing happens when I turn the key. there is no start button on the left handle bar so im thinking it turns on with the key.

I checked all wires on the CDI and reconnected some wires.

jumped the starter and got good compression. I also bridged the starter solenoid and engine turned.

New ignition switch/key

changed oil

new spark plug

new battery

what else should i check? how do i know is the cdi that needs replacement over the coil, or other things? any way to test that?

are there any wires that absolutely need to be plugged in for the atv to start? there are some wires e.g. 12v outlet wires, ground for the winch etc...

i really dont want to just start buying up parts and replace them..

any help would be appreciated it. thanks.

34rj7fd.jpg

2zp61w7.jpg

sfi82h.jpg

20h91ls.jpg

mli1ch.jpg

34h9l39.jpg

fmv49y.jpg

turn on the key so the dash lites up, push up on red switch on left handlebar...thats your starter switch....E GADZ where do all the loose pigtails go? OMG!!!

Edited by cheriah

when i turn the key to the on position nothing lights up.. no lights, no neutral light, no oil light, no cluster light.

and im pretty sure you cant "push" the red button on the left handle bar.. it looks like it only slides back and forth but from off-run-off.

are you 100% sure i need to push the red button to start it?

turn on the key so the dash lites up, push up on red switch on left handlebar...thats your starter switch....E GADZ where do all the loose pigtails go? OMG!!!

looking at the schematic, it shows on the left handlebar an over ride button and a start button. maybe someone took these off and pull started it, or jumped the solenoid like you did ???

i mean like it's gone completely ???

and then going to bike bandit, that off-run-off and headlight switch is what they list only. my buddy had an '02 but i can't remember his configuration. the manual doesn't show anything. maybe the key does start it like a car/truck ... where are the Polaris guys ???

yep, im sure its the red one,,,,the yellow button below it is the override, as Oxy said, for the reverse limiter....pm polarisrich and ask him I think he has the same machine or something similar... wish you the best getting all those wires back together...:wink:

Edited by cheriah

yes turn the key and that starts it i have the same set up

Edited by jeffreyscott