Quantcast

Best Size Utility ATV For Taller Riders?

MadMan

Hello everybody, I need some advice on buying my next utility ATV 4x4. Ive narrowed it down to Arctic Cat, Yamaha, Polaris, or Can Am. Im wanting something with a 500-850 motor. I def do not want a 1000. They just seem too big and heavy. I am 6ft-5in tall and medium build. I currently drive a 1998 Yamaha Big Bear 4x2 350 and its simply too small for my body size. I also own a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4 which fits me quite nice and has a comfortable large seat. My wife loves driving the Popo since its automatic, so I get stuck driving the Yamaha if she tags along for ride since its semi auto shift. Id like to trade up the Big Bear for a larger, reliable, capable, trail and mud machine. I must have 4 wheel drive and IRS. I like the reliability of Yamaha, but I must admit my Popo rides quite smooth. I just really dislike the Polaris CVT belt noise and the lag time it requires to move atv after u punch the throttle. I havent tested the new 2013 or 2013 popo sportsman to compare. Im not into extreme mudding, but my friends and I do snorkel our quads and drive thru deep water on occasion. So I would like an ATV that is water friendly, if there is such a thing. LOL! Ive pondered a can am xmr 650 but am worried the can am might be expensive to maintain or repair. I really like the look of the AC Mud Pro, but I have no problem modifying a base model to suit my needs. Whatever bike I buy MUST be large in frame size. I dont need gobs of power but I prefer a larger frame size. My Big bear and my buddys Honda Rancher are just too small. My butt actually hits the rear rack when I ride if I sit bk too far. Please share your thoughts, good or bad. I am not brand loyal, I just want a well made, larger frame bike for trails and some mud.

Thanks!

oxidized black - LOL, yes. U know exactly how I feel. A circus clown, haha. If I drive solo Im on 500 popo but if we ride together I ride the 350 Big Bear. Tough bike, but its simply too small for my long legs. Im going to visit one of the BIG atv stores near me that carry multiple brands and see how each feels size wise. I really like Yamaha build quality. Never let me down or my friends down. Ive owned a few polaris bikes and they ride nice but Ive had issues with each. The popo cvt seems have to rev high to make bike move initially, plus I hate not having a sep front and rear brake hand lever. I really like Front Locking dif opposed to AWD on Popo and Canam, but I do like how FAST the Can Ams are. Lots of riders in my area ride Can Ams Outlanders. Im not into racing utility quads but I do like a bike that can pop a wheelie or punch thru mud. My polaris 500 almost lifts the tires from dead start punch of throttle, but the CVT seems to be geared for Easy, smoother acceleration, not torquey like a Grizzly. I read the Can Am 500 Outy lacks low end torque. I like riding trails, but I want something to handle some mudholes too. Whatever I buy its getting upgraded tires with decent lugs. I have SUper Swampers on rr of my Big Bear and they churn mud like crazy. That 2wd bike drives thru a lot of crap, except extreme mud.....where 4wd is needed.

I would suggest the new 2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 or the newer Suzuki Kingquad 750 or 500. Both machines have the best CVT smoothness and excellent ride and handling. Both have good power and are very dependable. Stay away from deep water and your ATV will last much longer and your maintenance will be much lower. Both machines will fit you very nicely.

OK good advice. Well I bought the yama 350 as my first quad and Popo 500 bought as a replacement, but some how it became my wifes choice ride. LOL. Ill do some test sitting at some dealers before I decide. I am even considering a 2up quad, altho choices are slim. Only Polaris, Can Am, and AC make 2 ups currently. I would buy a yamaha 2up if they made one. I dont know much about AC, Can Am seems pricy, so that only leaves Polaris. LOL. We enjoy riding in a group and not all our friends and family own quads, so we end up riding double a lot.

A two up would be safer to ride double. I have heard good and bad on the Polaris quads. A friend of mine works in sales at our local dealer he said he will never buy another Polaris. He got a new Gizz after his new Polaris 850 front diff broke. The Grizz is nice I have rode them their smooth and the quad feels nice in the saddle. I think Kawasaki BF 750 may sit a little lower. My daughters foreman 500 seems to have a little taller seat height than my 02 prairie. I think Kawai, Yamaha & Honda need to build a 2 up. There is also CF Moto I have read about and they have a 2 up. By the reviews I have read you need power steering for sure with the 2 up quads. Having been on the Grizz 700 & kawai BF 750 the Grizz felt taller and higher off the ground. The BF was still a good fit for me and felt more planted on the ground with a lower COG when riding with plenty of power as far as riding. With the Yamaha I felt like I needed to take the corners slower. Either one I would be happy to own but in the end for myself I would go with the BF 750 for the more performance feel & power and it still has a smooth ride but not as smooth as the Grizz. No quad is cheap to fix but I think Can-Am might be at the top of the list. By what my friend said if the battery dies you have to take it to the shop because the key has a security code. I am not sure if that's true or not but he said they cost to own. He is the same friend that works for the dealer. He has been dealing with quads along time. Just look at them all and read all you can and check out the reviews Dirt trax on you tube has some good video reviews. AC is one that you don't see to many dealerships for here in GA. we had one but they closed down the reviews are not as good as the other big name brands.

Edited by hangingon