Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

killer420

Rancher 420 2wd to 4wd conversion

I know this has been talked about, so i did some research.

After my research, i started buying parts.

Here are the parts you need:

51380-HP7-A00, left front upper control arm

51370-HP7-A00, right front upper control arm

51350-HP5-600, right front lower control arm

51360-HP5-600, left front lower control arm

44615-HP5-600, front drive hubs (need 2)

53521-HP5-600, tie rods (need 2, this is just the adjuster rod, not the tie-rod ends)

51200-HP5-600, right steering knuckle

51250-HP5-600, left steering knuckle

53235-HP5-600, steering arm (connects the tie rod ends to the steering shaft)

23611-HP5-600, "final shaft", goes inside the engine, provides power to front and rear driveshafts)

40400-HP5-600, front driveshaft

44250-HP7-A31, right front axle

44350-HP7-A31, left front axle

11300-HP5-000, front crankcase cover

50350-HP5-600, front differential support bracket

41400-HP5-A50, front differential unit

You also need the 4wd shift lever and the cable that connects it to the differential. there is not a part number for the whole assembly, just look on ebay. thats where i got mine.

Now on to the good part, the turning of wrenches:

Here is the engine before removal:

IMG_20151128_143827.jpg

IMG_20151128_143843.jpg

after removal:

IMG_20151128_160214.jpg

front differential in position:

IMG_20151129_135507.jpg

^^^notice the "TRX420TM" decal, indicating 2wd

Here is a pic of the "final shaft", comparing the 2wd (in my hand) to the 4wd (in the engine).

IMG_20151129_135842.jpg

^This is the most difficult part of this conversion, removing and opening the engine to swap out this shaft. However, there is a lovely video on youtube showing how to rebuild this engine and they clearly show the steps to remove/replace the rear cover and final shaft. Dont forget to remove the front cover before installing the new shaft, it will not fit thru the 2wd front cover.

link to video>:

once the new shaft is installed:

IMG_20151129_140055.jpg

you will need to install the front and rear covers using sealant, make sure all shims/washers and o-rings are in place in the correct locations referencing the video above.

here is the right front corner mostly assembled:

IMG_20151130_124400.jpg

and fully assembled with hub, rotor, and brake caliper:

IMG_20151130_172332.jpg

I do have more pictures to upload, when i have more time i will update this further

• Like 2

if anyone cares (which i doubt since its been 9 months since i posted this), i only spent $750 on the conversion overall. everything worked flawlessly first try. i used this honda to plow 30inches of snow from a steep 800ft driveway. never missed a beat.

it was WAY cheaper than selling my 2wd rancher at a big loss and buying a 4wd version. if you can turn a wrench this is not too difficult for you to do at home

Edited by killer420
  • Like 1

Dude you rock. I want to do this to my 2016 420 rancher es. Think it's just as feasible? 

As much as you can tell me will help mate

it will probably cost a little more than it did for mine, i was able to source some a couple used parts for much less than new. For instance, a new front diff for mine was $675, i got a used one for $80. it may be more difficult to source used parts for such a new machine.

from some quick poking around on rockymountainatv.com using their Honda OEM catalog, it appears you will need to change your front knuckles, get front axles and differential, change front cover on engine, change final shaft in engine, change front tie-rods, add 4wd shifter and cable

if i have time tonight after work i will try to get you a list of part numbers you would need

• Like 1

Thanks for the build sheet. About to do this to a 2010 Honda TRX420 TMA . The pictures would be a big help if I could see them

Edited by Muddyhonda
Added

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Randel1
      I am trying to put a 1994 Suzuki 250 quadrunner back into service. I have it up and running like new but need to replace the plastics as they are brittle and crumbling due to age and sun exposure. I would like to purchase new parts either OEM or aftermarket but have had little luck in finding them. I would even consider used or salvaged parts in serviceable condition. Any help in locating these parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    • By MarkinAR
      So just as a general FYI, it might be good to check replacement parts before installing.  If possible, check clearances with a micrometer before going through the trouble of assembly.  I say this as I bought a new driveshaft yoke for a Kodiak because the ujoint dropped a cap and got the yoke in a bind...blowing the yoke and middle drive gear to shreds.  So I replaced the middle drive gear and bought a new yoke and ujoint kit from Caltric.  Caltric is usually pretty solid replacement parts.  The new yoke however was a good 4mm too narrow for inside lock ujoint caps.  Disappointing since it came as a kit from Caltric.
      Ended up taking an angle grinder to the new yoke and thinning material off to get it to the needed 41.25mm opening size.  Sucks having to disassemble everything again and start over but my fault for trusting replacement parts.  Nearly 40 years of turning wrenches and I made a rookie mistake.
    • By Randel1
      I recently read an article about restoring or at least improving the looks of faded and discolored plastic body parts. In the article it suggested using a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and paint thinner. You mix it up and apply it with a brush or rag to rub it in and remove the oxidation. I curious to find out if anyone has had experience with doing this and what was their short/long term results of doing so. I would hate to try it and find out that a few weeks/months down the road my plastic body parts self destruct.   
    • By Jeremy Morris
      If you're getting that pesky leaky seal on the pinion of your front differential and the pinion has allot of play, polaris won't sell the bushing needed to repair it properly without having to shell out big bucks for the complete ring and pinion kit. 
      I have a kit with an upgraded bushing, Japanese made bearing and USmade seal
      50 shipped in the US and 55 to Canada

• By bradleyheathhays
      Damn, it took 30 years of driving to cause my first accident, and on Friday the damn 13th. Did a low speed rear end into the back of a lifted truck and got into it's trailer receiver. The only place it made contact with was at the very front center of the hood close to where it latches. Unfortunately the impact was enough that there's a longitudinal hump in the middle of the hood now, bowed 6 inches on each side above the quarter panels, which weren't involved at all thank God. Both my headlights are cracked at the top, but not because they got hit; I think it was because the hood and it's latch was pushed back during the collision possibly deforming the support structure, causing the to separate. The hood is lifted up about 3 inches above each headlight and when looking in at the support material just behind each headlight, one side shows cracks and the other cracks and about a 1/2 gap in the material. Can't tell but it may resemble fiberglass, not really sure? My best guess is that the whole front bumper is gonna have to come off and that entire front support piece be replaced. Any advice on how hard this can be? I do a lot of my own work but I really don't want to be getting into this especially with the weather getting so bad now.

When I go junkyard shopping for parts, what year Tauruses are compatible with my '02?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By ntl8484
      I collected two months. Wheel diameter of 1 meter, width of 0.5 meters. All wheel drive.

• By anthonyd256
      I have a 99 Yamaha bear tracker and I have converted the front brakes from drum to disc fairly easy but I cant figure out how to convert the rear with out hacking apart the rear arm. tried to use parts from a wolverine since the rear arms look similar but the caliper mount didn't line up on the bear tracker axle. Can anyone give me any clues or has anyone successfully converted the bear tracker rear brakes. I would even purchase a conversion kit if there is one. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    • By cprservices
      Does anyone on here have a 2013 honda rancher? I have had several Honda ranchers in the past but I bought this 2013 rancher and it hits the rev limiter at half throttle. It is very annoying and I was wondering if anyone else's Rancher does this. If this is something from the factory or if I have a problem or not just trying to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated
    • By freightwrench
      Anyone know how many links in the drive chain to the front wheel drives on the 1995 sport 400 2 stroke if it makes a difference. thanks in advance freight:GEEK: