Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

I've got a 2005 Brute Force 750 that just had the main timing chain replaced (It broke) along with a couple valves (Bent). The engine work was done by my Mechanic but I removed & reinstalled the motor.

Put it all back together and it fired up nicely. I let it idle for a bit and pulled the dipstick to make sure I hade enough oil in it. Major pressure coming out of the crankcase, it was as if I had my hand in front of the exhaust! Tons of coolant in there as well!

The guy who rebuilt it is very good and I know I put it all back together correctly. He obviously missed something, anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Pete

Not only did you bend the valves i think you also had a piston with ring problems.  Also, did you replace the valve seals?  Could be getting blowby on the rings.  In regards to coolant in the crankcase i say there's a seal missing or an 

o ring broken somewhere.

Coolant in the crankcase  sounds like a cracked block  or head to me; although if the head and block  have  water passages  between them  . it could be a head gasket  problem.  Rings and valve seals will  not  let  coolant into the  crankcase ,  but  a bad head gasket or cracked block or head will  let  pressure  and coolant into the crankcase.

If there is coolant getting into the crank case you would probably have coolant and oil mixture and cause a milky result. If coolant is getting into teh combustion chanber, you'd have a good amount of white smoke when running. Either can be a head gasket, seal, or crack somewhere.

On 3/21/2017 at 1:03 AM, davefrombc said:

Coolant in the crankcase  sounds like a cracked block  or head to me; although if the head and block  have  water passages  between them  . it could be a head gasket  problem.  Rings and valve seals will  not  let  coolant into the  crankcase ,  but  a bad head gasket or cracked block or head will  let  pressure  and coolant into the crankcase.

a missing seal or broken o ring in the coolant passage will also let coolant into the crankcase.

On 3/21/2017 at 1:03 AM, davefrombc said:

i never said valve seals will let coolant into the crankcase i simply asked a question re the valve seals as were they replaced.  Blowby comes from a broken or worn rings and usually when a valve job is done valve seals should be replaced. a broken gasket anywhere in the coolant train will allow it to gather up in the sump.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dwight Williams
      Ok, so I bought a 2006 bayou 250 for 200 bucks, kid couldn't start it and had no idea why it wouldn't run, I pulled the rope and felt what I thought was valve to piston contact, he wanted 500 and I talked him down to 200 and brought it home.  Sure enough, timing was way far out, timing chain incredibly loose.  So for fun I re-tensioned the timing chain and re timed it, got about 120lbs of compression, pretty low.  I cannot get the chain very tight but the the tensioner seems to work fine, the chain guides don't look very worn.  Also, when I took the head off the valves don't look bent and the piston has no discernible marks on it.  Is this an interference engine?  I sure thought I felt some contact with the pull rope but maybe no permanent damage was done?  Anyway, I plan on doing a full top end job as well as timing chain tensioners and hopefully that'll cure it.  Is there any reason other than chain stretch (I measured it and it's ok) or guide wear that would cause the chain to be so loose?  Thanks!

• By Brian Simmons
      I am looking at a 90cc Arctic cat 90cc not sure what year right off hand . The shaft broke off right outside the motor . Can anyone help me ? What do I need to do to fix it ? Do you have any pictures or videos ? Let me know ?

• By BosoxBruce
      Recently I noticed gas leaking from under the gas tank on my 2005 250 2x4. As I looked closer it appears to be leaking from the shut off valve under the tank. It's the valve with the handle that can be turned to open, close or reserve. Can this part be replaced? Thank you.
    • By Michael Aiken
      Where can I find a wiring diagram for my 2005 450 Kodiak. Thanks.
    • By David Miller
      Does anyone know how to access the check engine codes on a 2018 450 sportsman. Just changed battery and spark plug . It runs fine but the light is on and I need this to plow snow and need it reliable. Any ideas . Thanks
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Michael Aiken
      Where can I find a wiring diagram for my 2005 450 Kodiak. Thanks.
    • By Mo Salem
      So my front hub broke, I’d like to put aftermarket on. Hard to find new oe ones. Please help. I’m new to all of this, I have some car knowledge and try to apply it
    • By oxidized_black
      tag : zukifreak

• By LMI
      Was using the quad the other day to shuttle wood from my pickup to my wood pile.  When the job was done I turned off the Quad and heard a bit of a racket from the front end.  When I got down underneath the sound seemed to be coming from the fan housing.  fan was moving in spurts and not quickly... much like a computer case fan that's had it's day.  What I know.
      Temp sensor is ok, as the fan tries to activate fan is getting some voltage as it is attempting to spin.  When I first bought it used I tested the fan direct to battery and it was fine. The fan was working ok even not direct wired as I went on a couple of rides and when stopped and idling the fan did run Seems to be free spinning with my finger read up in the manual and they require me to drop the rad.  now I'm not opposed to that as the rad has some damaged areas I want to try and straighten out.  But if I can get the fan working without, I can leave the rad as it is until next year.
      Fan assembly is about 300 bills, any work arounds or alternatives?  I even thought large computer case brushless fan.  smaller ones are about $7 larger ones better quality probably far below the 300.  They run standard 12v DC.
      Anything I should be doing before dropping the rad... other than check for obstructions even though it seems to spin, and trying to hardwire it to the battery again for a test to see if it acts the same?
    • Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html