Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Mn. ATV trails/Maps/hand held GPS

jtjohnson

My wife and I are riding Can/Am 570 Outlanders on the MN. Trails.  The State trail maps are ok, but some of the trails are poorly marked or no markings at all.  I do know how to use a compass, but on the cloudy days - just have to guess which track to follow in the brush.  I am trying to decide on a hand held GPS on the trails - don't know anything about using them.  Would like to hear from trail riders trail riders that are using them.  Which brands might be simple to use, and what local maps might be preloaded in them.  Any recommendations on where to buy them would be helpful.  Any hints on how best to use(program them?)

Some of the trails in Northern MN can be rough to navigate.  Always nice to know how to get home.

I have the Garmin Etrex and I use it whenever I go out.

I don't live anywhere near MN, but what I do is download the latest maps from Garmin (they have some really detailed maps) then there are some sites that have overlay maps for trails. If there is a trail association in that area, they may have them available.

Even without maps or trail guides, you can set your parking area as "home", venture out and just follow the GPS back to your parking area.

Happy riding!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I was looking at the MN DNR website and trying to find some better maps and information as well.

You can download PDF maps from the DNR site and use them with Avenza maps app. It's free, you just need to create an account. Here is an iPhone link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/avenza-maps/id388424049?mt=8

I use my old iPhone for this on my Can-Am with a USB charger attachment that plugs into the lighter socket. Most folks have a couple of phones in a drawer these days...

The app will load the map and then you can use the GPS functions (offline with no phone signal needed) to navigate and it will also plot the path you have ridden.

Here is the MN DNR page:

http://dnr.state.mn.us/mobile/geopdf/index.html

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll have to take a look at that app. I tried Gaia which has good reviews, but I was disappointed with the maps for a paid app. When I am riding I want to have a clear map with POIs for the surrounding area and clear ATV trail lines that are accurate. With Gaia you can overlay multiple maps over the DNR trail maps which is nice. I am still not sure what he best solution is here. It appears that Garmin owns this market.

Does anyone have a screenshot of how the MN DNR ATV trails look on a Garmin? Curious.

I  bought  myself  a  Garmin Montana  680 and the Backroad  GPS   maps for  BC for  Christmas ..  Now   all  I  have to  do  is learn how  to   use them  :D 

The  BackRoad Mapbooks  program  I have   has extensive coverage  of  roads and trails throughout  BC..  They  have  versions on  micro  SD  cards  covering  nearly  all  of  Canada.   They  also  offer  print  versions  of the  map  books. I  don't  know  if there  are  US  versions of the  program  I  got, but  if there   is, I would recommend one because of their  detail.  There  are  several   cell  phone maps  apps  available and  like  most , if  not  all states  there  are also   maps in  varying detail that  can be  downloaded from government  sites  for  free.

• Like 1

well. Big topic with a lot to loose, Knowing where you started and where you are is a biggie anywhere. on water or land, and its all about how much you like to spend and how your going to power it. I do not like using a phone as it is a phone not a mapping device. Phone dies and your all done, no way to replace a battery or any other part. but it is a great back up. I like using my old car GPS with a RAM mount. has everything I like to play with. We also use a tablet with a RAM mount in the Black Hills. USB power is there on the bike and we also use the tablet to control our Sony Action Cam. We were able to get a chip for our Garmin for the trails in the New England area and that was great. So many options and what is getting lost overnight worth ?

Cell phone  batteries  can  be  recharged if  you  have a 12v outlet on your  quad  and  a 12v to  USB adapter  and  phone  charger  cord with you.  Most  cell  phones  with  GPS  do  rely  on a  cell  signal  to  work, but  still  having  one  with you  and  a  GPS app is  a  lot  better  than  not  having  one.

for those  who  have  a  tablet or even  a  notebook  sized  PC that  they  take   on a  side by side  or  other  larger  ATV there  are   USB  powered GPS  receivers that work with  several  GPS  programs  available for them.  One  thing none  of us  has mentioned  that  is a good  accessory  to  have with you  is  an  FRS / GMRS transceiver.  They're  great  for   a  group to  keep  in  contact if they're  spread  out  a  bit, and  for  HAMs there  are  a  lot  of  very inexpensive hand helds. Either  could  be  handy to  have  in  an  emergency where  a  search   is  necessary.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

Cell phone  batteries  can  be  recharged if  you  have a 12v outlet on your  quad  and  a 12v to  USB adapter  and  phone  charger  cord with you.  Most  cell  phones  with  GPS  do  rely  on a  cell  signal  to  work, but  still  having  one  with you  and  a  GPS app is  a  lot  better  than  not  having  one.

for those  who  have  a  tablet or even  a  notebook  sized  PC that  they  take   on a  side by side  or  other  larger  ATV there  are   USB  powered GPS  receivers that work with  several  GPS  programs  available for them.  One  thing none  of us  has mentioned  that  is a good  accessory  to  have with you  is  an  FRS / GMRS transceiver.  They're  great  for   a  group to  keep  in  contact if they're  spread  out  a  bit, and  for  HAMs there  are  a  lot  of  very inexpensive hand helds. Either  could  be  handy to  have  in  an  emergency where  a  search   is  necessary.

That's exactly what Id do:

I use my old mobile phone which has more CPU power and a better screen than consumer GPS devices (and it is cheaper). The Can-Am I own has a 12 volt connector right next to the steering and I have a mount on the left handle bar. The phone doesn't need any paid service contract, it is in offline mode, only using GPS for maps. Then using whatever app you have decided on, load the MN DNR GPS tagged PDF map and go riding.

The only additional option I have researched is a really nice external GPS antenna that is bluetooth connected called xGPS. It can be mounted or even used as an armband and it has a 65-channel SkyTraq GPS chipset.

This is the cheapest unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Multipurpose-Augmentation/dp/B006M49G80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514220807&sr=8-1&keywords=xgps

The next model up can support 5 devices at once... kind of cool. Tempting.