Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Do You Use GPS For ATV Trails?

Admin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to and plan to use GPS when I ride.  So far most places I have been to are marked courses and is very hard to get lost.  There is one that I plan to go to soon that is open trails in the woods type place with cabins so I plan to get one so we won't be getting lost.  don't want to end up on the news.  LOL.  I downloaded apps on my phone that you can download places off network in case you lose signal but I want to really use GPS and my phone as a back-up.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2016 at 5:51 PM, Ajmboy said:

Scubasonic, that Garmin Montana 650T that looks like no joke based on the features. I see some refurbished ones for under $400 but new the lowest I found was $499 on Amazon. Is the GPS accuracy of these handhelds vs a phone app that makes them better? I don't have one and am just curious.

Found on Garmin:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/handheld/previous_models_handhelds/montana-650t/prod75228.html#gallery-dialog

cf-lg.jpgOk, I just purchASED on ebay a garmin gpsmap 62s for around 125 bucks. I'll post what I record trackwise and see if we can do anything with the file

I have owned the Garmin Oregon 450t for several years now, it is an older version of the 650 you posted above. I originally purchased it for other activities but it has come in very useful for riding. The GPS sensors in it are better then any phone or tablet. I can typically get 12 to 16 hours of use from a set of batteries (mine takes 2-AA batteries) so carrying a spare set is easy. It has had water and mud splashed on it many times with no issues. I have owned this unit now for 8 years or more.

It allows recording tracks and marking waypoints which can be downloaded to a computer to save for future use. You can also upload tracks and points to it. The best feature is that you can upload custom maps to it. I have taken several maps of ATV trails and use them in the unit.

There is free software for it that can utilize the data it collects, I use a paid version which does allow more features but I also use this for other activities. You can also insert a micro-SD card to store maps and data. I use a 4 gig card which is more then enough storage space.

Note, the "T" part of the model number indicates it includes a 100K topo map of the entire USA.

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I may have GPS issues…

Where I live and ride most appliances and maps do not provide the forest service road numbers for the areas I ride. Most all of the trails and dirt roads out here are clearly marked, this disconnect has been a challenge for years. Below is a list of the different appliances and applications I have used over the years.

I now use the Avenza Maps application which is free. The maps for a specific area are free or low cost. I download my maps prior to going on a ride, and I can switch between the 2014 OHV map (free) which tells me where I can ride, but lacks any good topo info, to my 2017 Forest Service map (4.99) with a ton of topo detail, then to a historical topo map from 1896 (Free) that shows me old mines and other landmarks that the Forest service has been removing from their new maps The application will show my tracks on all of the maps. I use a ram mount for my iphone on the quad, and a ram mount for Ipad mini on the side by side

Garmin Maps on laptop with serial connected GPS

Used in Truck to scout out hunting areas and plot out areas Elk were in.

Garmin Rino forget model number – A Pair of them

Great GPS and Ok Radio

More complicated then people who ride with me were willing to learn.

Motionx-GPS

Great Topo Maps

Street Maps

Offline Maps

Google Satellite Maps

Easy to share

Company has been around for many years, Good user interface.

GPS Kit

Great Topo Maps

Offline Maps

Google Satellite Maps

Also has Street Maps

Easy to share

Second favorite app, down side for me no forest service Road Numbers.

Avenza

Largest selection of Maps

Great Topo Maps

Offline Maps

Also has Street Maps

Easy to share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have a Garmin Montana 680t and was also using the Avenza maps as well until Trail Tech updated the Voyager Pro gps to use custom base maps. So now the Garmin has become a backup and the Avenza being pretty much moth balled. 

Having the custom basemaps you can use MVUM maps by making MBtiles maps. I use Caltopo for creating my maps and I can easily add boundary markers such as public land or even icons and such for point of reference and I also use it for creation of my routes. The Voyager Pro (VP) imports them effortlessly and the display is very easy to see even in bright sunlight. A few pictures shows the tile I created in red and its an enormous riding area (but small file) and the VP can load multiples of MBTiles at a time if need be. For example I created the entirety of the Black Hills SD MVUM trail system in just 1 MBTile file that the VP loaded with no issue.

I won't get into the other benefits of the VP due to this being a GPS thread but if some are interested I can create a review thread to showcase some of its other features. 

20210129_153256.jpg

2034062475_farmingdalescreen.thumb.png.09894af2133f5c3a9aaa290bb0650830.png

20210214_074821.jpg

1409073646_FarmindaleScreen2.thumb.png.dcfcbee65b84a5ba453fe6341161a5d6.png

The Voyager Pro GPS is easy to see in daylight and at a glance when I'm riding, either standing up or seated. It displayed just the info I need with multiple modes to choose from. My TRX700XX didn't come with any electronic gizmos or speedo so having the VP is a great addition to this bike. Just wanted to share a few more pics of it mounted on the quad

20200718_193021.jpg

20200718_192957.jpg

20200709_151107.jpg

20200709_151222.jpg

Polaris Ride Command works great and the Trail Tech Voyager Pro (also a Polaris product) uses the group ride feature. My experience with the Ride Command on my phone is great until I lose cell service and with all the mountains, valleys in our area cell service becomes very intermittent if not gone all together. That's the biggest reason I like a dedicated GPS on my rides. I do record the tracks on my VP and upload the GPX to my Ride Command so I can access it there so its not without use

Edited by Akunin

10 hours ago, Harold Wallace said:

POLARIS RIDE COMMAND! https://bnc.lt/RFZm/V6XJRRBMSdb

Nice ride! Wow, looks like great country to ride in!

This is more like an example of using the Voyager Pro then uploading the GPX to Ride Command... and the hours show how long I forgot to turn off tracking. 

https://bnc.lt/RFZm/bHtru1q6Ydb#.YC7B07fBlH8.link

Edited by Akunin

• 8 months later...

I have an ap called onX offroad, it runs about 30.00 a year but is well worth it as you are not using a separate device, uses your cell phone and you can save areas prior to riding on your phone then go to that area offline and record your rides, mark stopping points etc. They also have a hunting version I believe. They are based out of Missoula Montana, I believe, my nephew works for them, is the web page designer. Pretty cool ap works well, in our area we have trails that shut down certain times of the year, when you click on that trail it tells you what dates it opens and closes so you aren't riding illegally when you're not supposed to be.

Might work for some of you guys.

https://www.onxmaps.com/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...