Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

what is a good 4wheeler with a manual transmission?

Hello there, i am wanting to know, what would be a good 4 wheeler with a manual transmission?  Either a real manual with a clutch, or a semi automatic transmission. Either 2 or 4WD will do.  What i do want is one that has a rack at each end and can pull a small trailer.   So what are your suggestions? I am open to most any brand though Linhai is the only one from China i would buy.    

So far it looks like Arctic Cat is overwhelmingly what fits what i'm looking for, but like i said, i'm open to almost any make. If there is any rivalry over brands count me out, i like them all.   What i do want is one that will last through farm use, hauling feed sacks and so forth.    

Does Arctic cat still have a semi-automatic or manual transmission in its utility ATV line up? I guess first question is are you looking at new or used? My first two choices are to go with Suzuki King Quad series or Yamaha Grizzly or even a Kodiak. I'm biased because I've owned all 3. :cute:

The last semi-automatic I had was a Kawasaki bayou 220 years ago. Today, most utility quads have some form of a CVT transmission if I'm correct, I don't think there are many models outside of sport ATVs that have a manual shift.

• Like 1

Almost any of the older quads made by Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha  would fit your bill. I  have a '94  Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 that is still  running strong.  A friends has a Suzuki  of the  same  vintage  that  is also. Both of our  machines  are  4x4;  mine  is full time,  his  is  part time. Another friend  has an  '87 Honda 250 two  wheel drive.  Motor   is strong on it,  but the rear  frame was badly  cracked  and broken. . Some heavy  gauge  sheet  metal  and  my small  wire feed welder  took  care of that  problem.  That  is likely the strongest  part  of the  entire  framework  now .  In your  price  range  you're going to  be  looking at  older  machines, so  I'd  recommend any  of the  well known  Japanese  made ones  for semi-auto  ones .. I don't  know of any  with a  manual  clutch..

I  am  partial  to  Honda  myself. I have  had nothing but good service from  Honda  powered  equipment ,  from  lawn  mowers,   portable   power plants  to     quads.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2016 at 0:26 PM, tjg358 said:

I have worked on a lot of older quads. Honda and Yamaha seem to have been most reliable that I have had in my shop.

I dont think you can go wrong with anything in your budget as long as it isnt smoking.

I agree and would add:

1. Honda

2. Yamaha

3. Suzuki

4. Kawasaki

I personally would stay away from older polaris and arctic cats.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have several Suzuki 250 and 300 from the late 80's and 90's called quadrunner or kingquad. They are semi auto, you can find them in 2x4 or 4x4. You also can find them on craigslist usually under $1000 needing work. They are small and slow but are a workhorse, the main tranny has 5 gears and reverse and then there is a 3 speed sub tranny. They will tow alot as long as you have traction, I use them to tow 3000# boats around my yard. They also have independent rear suspension and are shaft drive.  The honda 300's are good and simple too.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Honda or Yamaha you can't go wrong, Suzuki or Kawasaki are great machines as well, however I know around our area you are not going to find one that cheap, if you do it's toast and would probably need a total rebuild, I just sold one of my Ranchers (2013)  for $4500. I didn't even know how many miles or hours were on it as it was a basic foot shift manual transmission. It was in great shape but they don't go cheap around here.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...