Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Bigd1792

LTZ 400 bogging off idle

I have a 04 LTZ 400 I just picked up. It's completely stock as far as I know besides an upgraded k&n style air filter. I recently flushed all the fluids and cleaned the carb out as well as replacing the main jet o ring that was corroded and replaced the spark plug. The issue I'm having is that the bike starts right up and idles perfect and revs fine at any rpm when u hit the throttle but as soon as it's warm, if you hit the throttle quickly it will bog and sometimes die. If you gradually increase the throttle at a smooth rate it revs fine. What could be the issue?

8 hours ago, davefrombc said:

Sounds like   the accelerator  pump isn't working properly. 

Can you give me more details on this, where it's located, what it does and where I can get it? Also how difficult to replace? Thanks.

Sorry ,  I  can't help  with  it, but  there  should be  lots of  information on the  net  if you search on  it ..  Bogging  on acceleration  was very  common   on cars  and utility  vehicles that  relied on accelerator  pumps to momentarily  enrich the  mixture  when  the throttle  was  opened quickly. The accelerator  pump  will  be  a  part of the  carburettor.. it  may be operated  by the  vacuum "can"  on the Suzuki's  carb..  One  the older  cars and  carbs on some  ATVs it was an actual  plunger in a "tube"  in the  carb  that  gave a  small  shot of  gas when the  throttle  was opened ..  on other  carbs , it  is a  needle  valve that   is opened   by the  movement  of the  throttle  or  a vacuum can.

Fortunately  I  haven't had to  get into the  carbs or ignition/  electrical  systems on my  quad  (Honda) or  my  friends Suzuki, so  I  can't give you  first  hand advice  on  working on them.  I  can  only  give  you  a  clue  where  to  look  for a possible  solution to the problem.

Edited by davefrombc
Fixed a typo and omission

You're probably needing part #32 on this diagram.

This link is available to logged in members only. Please login or register to view this link.

1 hour ago, wildthang said:

You're probably needing part #32 on this diagram.

This link is available to logged in members only. Please login or register to view this link.

Do I need all parts associated with that diaphragm or just the diaphragm assembly #32 in the picture?

I can't say for sure which parts on your carb are bad. Problem could be caused by something else as well. What I would do would be tear the carb off and check the accelerator pump out. It might just need the diaphragm, but you won't know until you look at it. Also inspect your main diaphragm (#8) for any cracks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wildthang said:

I can't say for sure which parts on your carb are bad. Problem could be caused by something else as well. What I would do would be tear the carb off and check the accelerator pump out. It might just need the diaphragm, but you won't know until you look at it. Also inspect your main diaphragm (#8) for any cracks.

I'll do that, thanks again!!