Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

grego86

88 Yamaha Big Bear DIF yoke removal

My front dif is leaking oil pretty bad around the yoke. I completely pulled the whole dif from my bike and now stuck trying to get the yoke unbolted from the dif body. There's a large nut in the center of the yoke and I've tried using impact wrench and not budging. The nut and bolt kind of looks like it has a crimp spot made to keep it from backing off the bolt I guess. Does that sound right? What's the easiest way to remove it? Just soak with some type of lube and try again with the impact?

That  is  just a   self locking  nut. I  can't tell whether someone  has  used a punch on it  to   lock it tighter  or  not  with the crud  in the  thread above it, but  it  should  come  undone  using an  impact  wrench.  Clean  the   thread above the dent in the   nut  to ass if the thread of the shaft is damaged..  If it  is, you  could  grind away the  damaged  spot  under  the  dent, but  you  likely  don't  need to grind anything away. also , when you  clean  the   shaft to  get a better  look,  make sure it is   regular right hand thread. It  appears to be  from  what  little I can see of it , but make  sure.

Use a big  pipe wrench to  keep the  yoke from  turning,  and use a  good  air or electric impact wrench to spin the nut off..

Edited by davefrombc

I doubt the  nut  has a spring pin  holding it ..   Clean  it  off and look. If there's a hole drilled  through it, it  has one , but that  nut  looks  like a regular  self  locker to me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By RCNY1
      Seems impossible to find a pair of front shocks for my 02 Yamaha Kodiak,newer or older listings are they the same as a big bear ?  Factory are $245 each !!! Any help appreciated 
    • By JacobSlabach
      So yesterday I picked up a 07 polaris sportsman 800efi stealth edition for 3k.  Will lead a pic ltr.  In good shape.  Here's what's wrong with it:
      The rpm needle doesn't work just like my other sportsman... not too worried ab that.
      The motor doesn't sound like it's running quite right and doesn't feel like it has much more power than my 500.  I'm thinking it needs a tune up and some fresh oil..  but also it feels like it's running rich.  It's a little buggy when you goose the throttle and sometimes farts when you let off (like I little backfire out the exhuast). I'm gonna check timing and valave clearence on the motor first but thinking of putting a tuner on it? Anybody got a suggestion?  Mainly looking for more power.
    • By Frank Angerano
      Hello everyone, back from a crazy few months of riding, hunting and fishing! So I’ve added a storage bag to one of my bikes and loaded it up pretty good before we went out into the woods/trails etc.  My son questioned me and said what do we need all that junk for?  I told him you never know  maybe a flat tire water etc.
      Needless to say that junk came in handy.   So my question to everyone that hits the trails is what do you have or recommend to maybe take with you before you go? And what would be the one most important thing that’s a must have? 
      And also any recommendations on a  storage bag that’s not so costly and performs the best? I like my bag but not very good .

• By Jeff011366
      Hello,
        Over the years I have always used a friends machine, and only ride a few times a year. Last week I purchased a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700. The front diff needs a rebuild, the axles are very loose where they go into diff. My question is, both front wheels rotate forward by hand, but do not rotate the opposite direction. Is this "NORMAL OPERATION" I plan on rebuilding the hubs at the same time as the diff.....

My question about the rear diff, it rolls as if the machine has a total POSI rear axle...……. I lifted the front end off the garage floor with overhead hoist, as I moved it sideways the rear tires skidded rather than rotate. Both would roll forward easy, but not go in a circle. When I drove the machine in the garage making a tight turn I could feel the binding and skidding of rear tires....  Even if the switch was in 4 wheel drive, when it's hanging in te air the ignition is off...….. with the machine in 2 wheel drive mode, is that HONESTLY 1 wheel drive to allow turning without tearing up the lawn? then it locks the rear axle once it's put into 4 wheel drive? I'm guessing the rear diff needs a rebuild also because there is something "BALLED UP" internally locking the rear wheels together?
        It's a old machine that was not maintained, I thought the wheels were all rusted, but it was 17 years off baked on red clay. Just wanting to make it a reliable machine. I have great mechanical ability, just lacking a little knowledge of what is suppose to be "NORMAL OPERATING STANDARDS"

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.
      Jeff
    • By Elijah Johnson
      So I was riding my fourwheeler and some oil started leaking off I look around and found some tubes broke I really have no I idea where any hook up to// any one help??
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Walter Awe
      I HAVE a 2002 big bear 400 4x4. I have two wires atacking to the front of the carb. What are they for?
    • By Shook
      Hi I have a 2000 big bear 400 and i just put a new carburetor on it and it idles fine but when you try to accelerate it sounds like it is going to die, so when it sounds like it is going to die I will give it more throttle then it will go just fine.
    • By Nigel Bourn
      I’ve just bought one of these and came here looking for a service manual
      Mine has an air cleaner that I don’t seem to be able to find, it has round ends with square tabs on them, any ideas?

• By Scott Matthews
      Just picked up a 1989 Big Bear 350 for $250 CAD. Bike was running but lost crank and spark. They've installed a new coil, a couple relays, and installed a Ford starter solenoid in place of the original. Now it cranks but has no spark so they sold it to me. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this bike so I can test some wiring. Also any ideas as to direction to head would be nice. Lots of things have been hacked together so I know it probably wont be to easy. The ignition switch was replaced with a toggle switch, I already mentioned the Ford solenoid which 1 of the small wires was not re-installed, and a diode or something was removed from the oil temp sensor wire. I'm sure I will find more so a diagram would be amazing.
    • By Jordan Cody
      Trying to get the schematics for it so I can rewrite it I bought it for 120$ and all wires r cut plz some one help