Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

mfallavol

What could cause the timing chain to snap - Twice?

I picked up a 2003 KLF-250 for my son's first ATV a few months ago.  It had no compression and overall needed a lot of work.

To make a long story shorter, the major problems were in the head; mostly a bent valve.  We got it back and working and he was enjoying it until it just died.  Started back in to it only to find a broken timing chain.  I figured it had gotten stressed due to whatever caused the bent valve so no big deal...so I thought.  The problem is he was back riding it this weekend; probably has less than 4 hours on it since the timing chain was replaced and the same thing happened.  He'd been riding it down the trail very gingerly, we stopped to chat and he went to give it gas and it gave a little 'pop' and died.  When he hit the starter it was obvious it needed to be towed back.

Got it home to find the timing chain is broken again.  I really have no idea why.  It runs fine when running but now I'm gun shy.

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.  He's getting pretty bummed so I'd like to get this figured out.  Just ordered another timing chain so we'll get back into it this weekend.

That's interesting and the first thing that comes to mind is that it's too tight and stressed. Bad tensioner? Check out the service manual below and look at page 75 to inspect that tensioner. Also make sure you timing is correct:

On 1/31/2017 at 9:17 PM, mfallavol said:

I picked up a 2003 KLF-250 for my son's first ATV a few months ago.  It had no compression and overall needed a lot of work.

To make a long story shorter, the major problems were in the head; mostly a bent valve.  We got it back and working and he was enjoying it until it just died.  Started back in to it only to find a broken timing chain.  I figured it had gotten stressed due to whatever caused the bent valve so no big deal...so I thought.  The problem is he was back riding it this weekend; probably has less than 4 hours on it since the timing chain was replaced and the same thing happened.  He'd been riding it down the trail very gingerly, we stopped to chat and he went to give it gas and it gave a little 'pop' and died.  When he hit the starter it was obvious it needed to be towed back.

Got it home to find the timing chain is broken again.  I really have no idea why.  It runs fine when running but now I'm gun shy.

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.  He's getting pretty bummed so I'd like to get this figured out.  Just ordered another timing chain so we'll get back into it this weekend.

also check the gears to make sure they aren't worn to a point that the chain will jump over the teeth causing excessive stress and snapping the chain.  Pay particular attention to the gear on the crankend.  Make sure it's not slipping on the crank.  Good luck

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Polaris ATV Valve Adjustment

I've never done this before but after reading a few thread I decided to check my valves for the first time and to my surprise it was much easier than I thought. My bike is a 2005 Sp 500 HO. I first pulled the seat and the right side panel off, and that's it! It wasn't too bad to get at. Next I pulled the spark plug out and removed both the head cover ( 8-8mm bolts) [ATTACH]1021[/ATTACH] then the side cam cover (5-8mm bolts). [ATTACH]1023[/ATTACH] Also remove the plug in the recoil cover (14mm bolt) to see the timming marks. [ATTACH]1022[/ATTACH] Next I turned the engine over with the pull cord untill it was at TDC of the compression stroke. The best was to tell that your at TDC of the compression stroke is to rotate the engine until the timing marks are parallel to rocker cover gasket surface. The cam sprocket locating pin will be facing upward directly in line with the crankshaft to camshaft center line. Now fine adjust by looking into the timing hole in the recoil cover and line up the upside down "T" on the flywheel into the center of the hole. [ATTACH]1023[/ATTACH] Now using a feeler gauge, slide the .006" (.15mm)blade between the top of the valve and the bottom of the adjuster and adjust accordingly [ATTACH]1024[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1025[/ATTACH] To adjust, Loosen the locknut (10mm) and check clearance with a feeler guage. Clearance should be .006" (.15mm) for both, intake and exhaust valves. Turn the adjuster with a stubby flat blade screwdriver untill the proper clearance is achieved then tighten the locknut (5.8-7.2 ft. lbs) while holding the adjuster in place with the screwdriver. Re-check the clearance with the feeler guage one last time and re-assemble the covers (72 in.lbs) and plugs. The only thing that i noticed was that I had to clean and silicone the side cam cover other than that I found the whole process rather simple. I'd give it a 4 out of 10 on the skill level scale. I hope this helps! Thanks Rich

By PolarisRich, in Polaris ATV Forum

• 7 replies
    • A Jewish 400ex cylinder head?

The title is for attention. I’m prepping my cylinder head off of an unknown year 400ex to install on my quad. And I’m examining it and there’s literally a Jewish start( Star of David) protruding from the metal on the camshaft side of the head. It’s not imprinted or etched/ engraved. It’s coming out of the metal. DOES ANYONE HAVE INFORMATION ON WHY ITS THERE??? I’ve attached a picture 

By Jordan Alexander, in Honda ATV Forum

• 3 replies
    • kodiak compression issue

I am new to forum, please bare with me. I have a 2000 Kodiak 400 that would not start, found timing had jumped 4 teeth, reset timing 'no luck', checked valve clearance all ok, .04 int / .08 exh, no luck. fire is excellent, did compression check (with gauges) compression is at "0". checked valves again still same. did leak down test found no leaks by intake nor by exhaust nor into crankcase. pulled head and gasket not blown, valves looked good (little carbon) pulled jug checked rings looked good. replaced with new rings, decarboned valves reinstalled top end reset timing and valves, still no compression. can any one please tell me what I am missing? by the way in past 19+ years have done many top ends never had this problem.

By recon, in General ATV Discussion

• 7 replies
    • 2013 Linhai Bighorn 400 valve specs needed

does anyone know the correct valve adjustment on a 2013 400 bighorn linhai

By maddog865, in Other ATV Brands Forum

• 1 reply
    • 2001 Quadrunner 500 Running Problems

Hi all, Picked this bike up about a month ago, and started doing some work on it. I ordered a carb kit from China, but got tired of waiting for it so I went to the bike shop today and picked up a Shindy rebuild kit. Took the carb out of soak, it has been in there for a month, blew all the ports out, cleaned what I could with a guitar string, used air as best I could to make sure everything was clear. After I was satisfied the body was clean I out the kit in it. Got the floats set to 13mm as per the manual (well 12.87 on one side and 12.92 on the other, so close), set the pilot to a little less than 2 1/2 turns out (manual says 2 3/8 turns). Put everything back together and tried to start it, it started and had a week idle. I tried adjusting the idle screw and as soon as I turned it the bike died. Backed it out and tried again, same result. Left it backed out, started it again and gave it some throttle. As soon as the throttle is touch the bike dies. Changed the spark plug for a new one and checked the spark, good and really strong. I am thinking that I have a bad petcock and am not getting enough fuel to the carburetor. So when I press the throttle I am increasing air but starving for fuel, bike can't run on air alone so it dies. Does this line of thinking make sense? I am gearing up a bottle with a fuel line in it, so I can try gravity feeding fuel to the carb, just have to wait for the silicone to dry so won't be able to test till tomorrow.  If it turns out to be a bad fuel valve, I will most likely just replace it with a universal one. If I go this route, what do I need to do with the breather line off the carburetor that used to go to the OEM petcock? Block it off or leave it open? Any help, answers or other ideas of things to check would be greatly appreciated. I have a fishing trip at the end of the month and would love to have my bike running by then. 

By Coyote251, in Suzuki ATV Forum

• 11 replies