Quantcast

2014 Suzuki King Quad 750 irs Power Steering

mkibbe

My 2014 750 king quad stalls sometimes when I touch or turn the handlebars,the problem has gotten worse,my machine has 475 miles and is only trail ridden,I have a new factory battery and i have 14.2 volts when the quad is running and 13.3 on the battery when not running,also using a multimeter there is no change in volts when turning the bars until it does stall,If I pull the 40 amp power steering fuse it will not stall.......I've been told its the ECU,Hate to buy one if thats not the problem,but its kinda leaning towards that,,,,,need some opinions.

IMG_0924.JPG

First off, love the quad! The rims/tires and color scheme looks great. Looks like you have some aftermarket guards/bumpers on there, correct? Post some more pics, maybe even in the gallery https://www.quadcrazy.com/gallery/

As far as your power steering issue, I'm not sure if its the ECU. When you are getting the electric power assist, it should be consuming or drawing on the electrical system and the fuel injection may be cutting out from not enough power. Maybe it's your voltage regulator?

I just did a check with a multimeter while it was running,14.2 to 14.6 running,then i slowly turned the bars just a enough to apply pressure and my voltage dropped to 12.7 volts,does anyone know the specs that the power steering uses voltage wise.......but as i said above if i keep it revved it won't stall....

• 3 months later...

I would suspect the  voltage regulator  or the  alternator. There's also the  possibility  the  power steering is drawing too  much  power  for some reason  and the  momentary  voltage  drop is causing the  ignition or  fuel  injectors  to  cut  out.  When  you have the  motor  revved up  the  alternator is putting  out  more power so  you wouldn't  get  the  large  drop  and  cut  out. I don't think  it  is the  ECU.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I can’t tell you guys how dumbfounded I am that I just found this post (9-22-2020). I have been all over the Internet and have spent countless hours of frustration chasing possible fixes on my quad : 2014 Suzuki king quad 750 power steering.  I’ve owned it for 3 years and have tried everything to get it to stop STALLING     Thanks to Mkibbe for posting that his friend told him to disconnect the ground wire coming off the wiring harness and going to the rectifier as pictured. My KQ has not stalled since.  

• Like 1

• Admin changed the title to 2014 Suzuki King Quad 750 irs Power Steering

Disconnecting the ground wire doesn't fix the issue, but will cause the electrical system to seek out another ground since that one is broken.  i'd bet it's a faulty plug, internally broken wire, or bad ground point that needs to be cleaned.  The worry with disconnecting a ground is that sends additional load to another ground, potentially burning the ground wire.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi. I have a 2014 750 King with Power steering. Just bought it June 2022 with 1200 miles. Yes 1200 miles and 110 hours. Goes dead for no reason. As suggested I unplugged the black wire coming out starter relay. Problem goes away.

Checked the wiring diagram. The W/D shows the wire goes from the starter  motor side of the starter relay. The other end goes to terminal 12 on the ECU. So ECU pin 12 has 12.6 volts on it when the starter relay is energized.  Why does the ECU need to know when the starter motor is energized? AND what does it have to do with the stalling problem? Maybe something to do with when the starter relay is deenergize terminal 12 on the ECU is effect grounded through the starter coil stator winding. I wonder what would happen put a diode to allow the ECU to see the 12.6 VDC when the starter is energized and blocks pin 12 from seeing ground .  If the diode works, there is a programing problem in the ECU. Your thought are appreciated.

Thanks MKibbe! Would love to know what led you to unplug the wire. BTW if it is something overlooked in the programing, Don't expect Suzuki to fess up. David .

• 1 year later...

Old post, but good input. I have a 2011 King Quad 750AXI with the power steering. Low miles but has been stalling for years. Spent a lot at the dealers  trusting they can figure it out. A tad better after a new stator, but still stalled, and my old battery drained. Put a new battery in and it drained too. Now this year I added a second ground from the starter motor to the frame above it, (use same bolt as battery ground), put a very nice 200 cold crank battery, new starter, new spark plug, drained old gas, put in 91 octane for now, and it started right up. It worked perfect no stalling for about 3 miles. Then poop hit the fan...the next time I went to take it out, I could not move the handle bars, or turn on the lights, without it stalling again. I did notice it starts great and idols great. While its sitting there running, I can grab the front wheel by hand, and turn it without killing it. That tells me the wire harness is not pinched or bad connections up front, because if I turn with the handlebars using the power steering motor (voltage), it dies immediately. Now today, I unplugged that wire under the seat as mentioned in previous post, it will start, but run for only 3 seconds and dies. Plugged it back in and now it works perfect again! Maybe the stupid plug was the problem from day one? Makes sense because plug is before the grounds to starter and frame in my case. I will keep updates if this was the problem.